Norbert Freinkel Award
This lecture award is given in memory of Norbert Freinkel, a dedicated and insightful investigator, as well as gifted writer to honor a researcher who has made outstanding contributions to the field of diabetes and pregnancy.
Criteria for Selection
- In recognition of outstanding contributions (including scientific publications and presentations) to the understanding and treatment of diabetes and pregnancy.
- Nominee will be recognized for national and/or international contributions to the field of diabetes in pregnancy.
- Nominee must be an active American Diabetes Association member.
- Nominee must have MD, PhD degree or equivalent.
- Both U.S. and non-U.S. residents are eligible for award.
- Contributions and volunteer service to both national and international diabetes organizations and the broader diabetes community may also be taken into consideration.
- The recipient will deliver the Norbert Freinkel Lecture as part of a feature symposium at the Association’s Annual Scientific Sessions.
- Award includes round-trip coach airfare for the award recipient and hotel stay for up to 3 nights.
- Includes complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions for the award recipient.
- The recipient receives a $1,000 honorarium
- Nominations must be submitted using the universal National Scientific Achievement Award Application Form.
- Nominations are accepted from any professional member of the American Diabetes Association.
- Nominations from the membership of the Interest Group in Pregnancy and Reproductive Health in particular are encouraged to submit nominations.
- Letter of nomination (no more than 400 words, signed by no more than 3 individuals).
- Application letter or nomination letter should address criteria for selection (above).
- CV with career, mentoring, and publication highlights.
- Questions? Contact Mary Merkin by email or call 703-549-1500, ext 1371.
- Nominations are reviewed and scored by selected experts and past chairs from the Pregnancy and Reproductive Health Planning Subcommittee.
- The selection process is reviewed and supported by the National Medicine, Science and Health Care Awards Committee. The nominee is approved by the Executive Committee of the American Diabetes Association.
Previous Recipient of the Edwin Bierman Lecture
2010 Sylvie Hauguel-de Mouzon, PhD
2009 Sirk Kjos, MD
2008 David Sacks, MD
2007 Emilio Herrera, PhD
2006 David R. Hadden, MD
2005 Steven G. Gabbe, MD
2004 F. André Van Assche, MD
2003 Oded Langer, MD
2002 Jorge Mestman, MD
2001 Lois Jovanovic, M
2000 Patrick Catalano, MD
1999 Thomas Buchanan, MD
1998 David Pettitt, MD
1997 Donald Coustan, MD
1996 John Kitzmiller, MD
1995 Ulf Eriksson, MD
1994 John O’Sullivan, MD
1993 Boyd Metzger, MD
1992 Lars Mosted-Pedersen, MD
1991 John Bell, MD