Outstanding Educator in Diabetes Award
To honor highly meritorious efforts by health professionals in the field of diabetes education.
Criteria for Selection
- Nominee will have demonstrated significant, long-term national or international contributions to diabetes education, with evidence of benefit to recipients of education and of current activities in the field.
- Publications and teaching experience are factors in the selection process.
- Nominee must be a member of the National Professional Section.
- Both U.S. and non-U.S. residents are eligible for award.
- Contributions and volunteer service to both national and international diabetes organizations and the broader diabetes community may also be taken into consideration.
- Recipient will deliver the Outstanding Educator Lecture at the annual Scientific Sessions.
- Recipient is offered the opportunity to publish the lecture in an American Diabetes Association Journal.
- The recipient receives a $3,000 honorarium.
- Award includes round-trip coach airfare for winner and spouse and hotel stay for up to five nights. Also includes other meeting-related travel expenses.
- Includes complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions for winner and a guest.
- Nominations must be submitted using the universal National Scientific Achievement Award Application Form.
- Nominations are accepted from any professional member of the American Diabetes Association.
- Letter of nomination (no more than 400 words, signed by no more than 3 individuals).
- Application letter or nomination letter should address criteria for selection (above).
- CV with career, mentoring, and publication highlights.
- Please include a list of current and former Mentees/Trainees.
- Questions? Contact Mary Merkin by email or call 703-549-1500, ext 1371.
- The recipient is chosen by the National Medicine, Science and Health Care Awards Committee and approved by the Executive Committee of the American Diabetes Association.
Previous Albert Renold Award Winners
1977 Rita M. Nemchik, RN, MS
1978 Barbara M. Prater, PhD, RD
1979 Diana Guthrie, RN, PhD
1980 Carelyn P. Fylling, RN, MS
1981 Barbara Christman Adair, RN, MSN
1982 Myrtis A. McSweeney, RN
1983 Maria Alogna, RN, MPH
1984 Margaret C. Yarborough, RPh
1985 Marion Franz, RD, MS
1986 Deborah A. Hinnen, RN, MN
1987 Madelyn L. Wheeler, MS, RD, CDE
1988 Phyllis R. Crapo, RD, PhD
1989 R. Keith Campbell, RPh
1990 Margaret A. Powers, RD, MS
1991 Judith Wylie-Rosett, RD, EdD
1992 Helen R. Bowlin, RN, CDE
1993 Barbara J. Maschak-Carey, RNCS, MSN, CDE
1994 Jean E. Betschart, MN, RN, CDE
1995 Linda B. Haas, MN, RN, CDE, PhC
1996 Ruth Farkas-Hirsch, MS, RN, CDE
1997 Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE
1998 Anne S. Daly, MS, CDE, RD FADA, CDE
1999 Martha M. Funnell, MS, CDE, RN
2000 Robert M. Anderson, EdD
2001 Lawrence B. Harkless, DPM
2002 Karmeen Kulkarni, MS, RD, CD, CDE, BC-ADM
2003 Barbara J. Anderson, PhD
2004 Marjorie L. Cypress, CDE, MS, RN, ANP
2005 Melinda D. Maryniuk, MEd, RD
2006 Geralyn Spollett, MSN, CDE, ANP
2007 Virginia Peragallo-Dittko, APRN, BC-ADM, MA, CDE
2008 David G. Marrero, PhD
2009 Steven V. Edelman, MD
2010 Belinda R. Childs, ARNP, MN, CDE, BC-ADM
2011 Linda Siminerio, PhD, RN, CDE
2013 Ann L. Albright, PhD, RD