Roger E. Pecoraro Award
Given in memory of Roger E. Pecoraro, MD, a pioneer in research on the causes and prevention of foot ulcers and amputations in diabetes, The Roger E. Pecoraro Lectureship Award recognizes a researcher who has made scientific contributions and demonstrates an untiring commitment to improving the understanding of detection, treatment and prevention of diabetic foot complications.
Supported by an unrestricted educational grant from Curative Health Services, ConvaTec, Ortho McNeil-Pharmaceuticals, and Sechrist Clinical Services.
Criteria for Selection
- To recognize significant and/or innovating scientific achievement in improving the understanding of detection, treatment and prevention of diabetic foot complications.
- Nominee will be recognized for national and/or international contributions to the field of research on diabetes complications.
- Nominee must be an active American Diabetes Association member.
- Impact as a teacher and mentor will also be taken into consideration.
- Eligible candidates hold an doctorate level clinical or research degree (MD, DO, DPM, PhD).
- Both U.S. and non-U.S. residents are eligible for award.
- Contributions and volunteer service to both national and international diabetes organizations and the broader diabetes community may also be taken into consideration.
- The recipient will deliver a lecture as part of a featured symposium at the Association’s Annual Scientific Sessions.
- Award includes round-trip coach airfare for the award recipient and hotel stay for up to three nights.
- Includes complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions for the award recipient.
- The recipient receives a $1,000 honorarium
- Nominations must be submitted using the universal National Scientific Achievement Award Application Form.
- Nominations are accepted from any professional member of the American Diabetes Association.
- Nominations from the membership of the Council on Foot Care in particular are encouraged to submit nominations.
- Letter of nomination (no more than 400 words, signed by no more than 3 individuals).
- Application letter or nomination letter should address criteria for selection (above).
- CV with career, mentoring, and publication highlights.
- Questions? Contact Mary Merkin by email or call 703-549-1500, ext 1371.
- The Nominations are reviewed and scored by selected experts and past chairs from the Council on Foot Care appointed by the current chair of the Interest Group on Foot Care.
- The selection process is reviewed and supported by the National Medicine, Science and Health Care Awards Committee. The nominee is approved by the Executive Committee of the American Diabetes Association.
Previous Recipient of the Roger E. Pecoraro Lecture
2010 David G. Armstrong
2009 James Birke
2008 David Sinacore
2007 Lawrence Lavery
2006 Michael J. Mueller
2005 rank LoGerfo
2004 ristidis Veves
2003 Lawrence Harkless
2002 Peter Cavanaugh
2001 not awarded
2000 Gayle Reiber
1999 Michael Edmonds
1998 Jan Apelqvist
1997 Gary Gibbons
1996 Andrew Boulton
1995 Paul Brand
1993 Jean-Philippe Assal
1992 Michael Edmonds