Edwin Bierman Lecture
This lecture is awarded in honor of the memory of Edwin L. Bierman, MD, an exemplary scientist, mentor and leader in the field of diabetes, obesity, hyperlipidemia and atherosclerosis.
The award and lecture recognizes a leading scientist in the field of macrovascular complications and contributing risk factors in diabetes.
Dr. Bierman is most notably remembered for his work on the physiologic and nutritional regulation of lipoprotein metabolism and the nature of lipid and lipoprotein disorders particularly in obesity and diabetes, and especially as these relate to atherosclerosis. He was also a pioneer using human cultured cells to study atherosclerosis.
Dr. Bierman founded one of the leading journals in the area of atherosclerosis, namely Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, and had a major impact on our understanding of diabetes and macrovascular disease.
Supported by an endowment established in 1999 by Merck & Co., Inc.
Criteria for Selection
- To recognize a leading scientist who has made outstanding contributions in the field of macrovascular complications and the management and treatment of diabetes.
- Nominee must be an active American Diabetes Association member.
- Nominee must have MD, PhD degree or equivalent.
- Both U.S. and non-U.S. residents are eligible for award.
- Contributions and volunteer service to both national and international diabetes organizations and the broader diabetes community may also be taken into consideration.
- The recipient will deliver a lecture as part of a featured symposium at the Association’s Annual Scientific Sessions.
- Award includes round-trip coach airfare for the award recipient and hotel stay for up to 3 nights.
- Includes complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions for the award recipient.
- Supported by an endowment established in 1999 by Merck & Co., Inc.
- Nominations must be submitted using the universal National Scientific Achievement Award Application Form.
- Nominations are accepted from any professional member of the American Diabetes Association.
- Nominations from the membership of the Complications Interest Group in particular are encouraged to submit nominations.
- Letter of nomination (no more than 400 words, signed by no more than 3 individuals).
- Application letter or nomination letter should address criteria for selection (above).
- CV with career, mentoring, and publication highlights.
- Questions? Contact Mary Merkin by email or call 703-549-1500, ext 1371.
- The recipient is chosen by a selection committee comprised of the chair from the Lipid and Macrovascular Scientific Subcommittee appointed by the current chair of the Complications Interest Group. The selection committee will review and discuss all nominations and select the recipient on the basis of outstanding contributions to the field of macrovascular complications in the knowledge, management and treatment of diabetes.
- The selection process is reviewed and supported by the National Medicine, Science and Health Care Awards Committee. The nominee is approved by the Executive Committee of the American Diabetes Association.
Previous Recipient of the Edwin Bierman Lecture2011 Theodore Mazzone, MD, FACP
2010 Ira J. Goldberg, MD
2009 Steven M. Haffner, MD
2008 Scott Grundy, MD, PhD
2007 Henry Ginsberg, MD
2006 Robert Eckel, MD
2005 John D. Brunzell, MD
2004 Marja-Riitta Taskinen, MD
2003 Alan Chait, MD
2002 Helen Vlassara, MD
2001 Maria Lopes-Virella, MD, PhD
2000 John A. Colwell, MD, PhD
1999 Barbara V. Howard, PhD.
Know someone who would benefit from a membership to the American Diabetes Association?
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes