Harold Rifkin Award for Distinguished International Service in the Cause of Diabetes
Given in memory of Harold Rifkin, to honor outstanding service in the cause of diabetes that has been performed with an international perspective and with international impact, this award recognizes those whose efforts have increased the awareness of the burden of diabetes worldwide to improve the care and lives of those with diabetes.
Dr. Rifkin’s work specifically supported efforts to increase awareness of the burden of diabetes worldwide and in establishing relationships across diabetes organizations.
Criteria for Selection
- Nominee will demonstrate long-term volunteer service to one or more diabetes-related organizations.
- Broad professional expertise and contributions in diabetes may be recognized – including, but not exclusive to clinical care, research, education, health policy and advocacy.
- Both U.S. and non-U.S. residents are eligible for award.
- Contributions and volunteer service to both national and international diabetes organizations and the broader diabetes community may also be taken into consideration.
- The recipient receives a $3,000 honorarium.
- Award includes round-trip coach airfare for winner and spouse and hotel stay for up to five nights. Also includes other meeting-related travel expenses.
- Includes complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions for winner and a guest.
- Nominations must be submitted using the universal National Scientific Achievement Award Application Form.
- Nominations are accepted from any professional member of the American Diabetes Association.
- Letter of nomination (no more than 400 words) signed by no more than 3 individuals will be accepted.
- Application letter or nomination letter should address criteria for selection (above).
- Nominee's CV with career highlights and documentation of international contribution.
- Questions? Contact Mary Merkin by email or call 703-549-1500, ext 1371.
- The recipient is chosen by the National Medicine, Science and Health Care Awards Committee and approved by the Executive Committee of the American Diabetes Association.
Previous Harold Rifkin Award Winners
1991 Harold Rifkin, MD
1992 Harry Keen, MD
1993 Leo P. Krall, MD
1994 Wendell Mayes, Jr.
1995 Hilary King, DSc
1996 Meng H. Tan, MD
1997 K.G.M.M. Alberti, Dphil
1998 Errol Morrison, MD
1999 Michael Berger, MD
2000 Maria de Alva
2001 Sterling Tucker
2002 Paul Zimmet, MD, PhD
2003 Linda M. Siminerio, RN, PhD, CDE
2004 Jean-Claude Mbyana, MD
2007 Martin Silink, AM, MD, FRACP
2005 Insulin for Life
2006 Jaime A. Davidson, MD
2008 Andrew JM Boulton, MD, FRCP
2009 Mahmoud Ashraf Ibrahim, MD
2010 Peter H. Bennett, MD Ch.B, FRCP, FFPH
2011 Rury R. Holman, FRCP
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!