Outstanding Physician-Clinician Award
To recognize a physician for outstanding achievements in improving diabetes clinical practice.
Criteria for Selection
- Nominee is actively involved in the clinical care of patients with diabetes.
- Nominee is recognized and highly regarded as a clinician and educator of health care professionals with >10 years of distinguished service.
- Nominee is well-known nationally or internationally for exceptional clinical knowledge and expertise.
- Nominee has outstanding track record of sharing his/her expertise with other health care professionals as documented by presentations and/or authorship of books /articles/reference materials.
- Nominee is a current member of the Association’s Professional Section.
- Both U.S. and non-U.S. residents are eligible for award.
- Contributions and volunteer service to both national and international diabetes organizations and the broader diabetes community may also be taken into consideration.
- The recipient receives a $3,000 honorarium.
- Award includes round-trip coach airfare for winner and spouse and hotel stay for up to five nights. Also includes other meeting-related travel expenses.
- Includes complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions for winner and a guest.
- Nominations must be submitted using the universal National Scientific Achievement Award Application Form.
- Nominations are accepted from any professional member of the American Diabetes Association.
- Letter of nomination (no more than 400 words, signed by no more than 3 individuals).
- Application letter or nomination letter should address criteria for selection (above).
- CV with career and publication highlights.
- Questions? Contact Mary Merkin, Manager, Scientific and Medical by email or call 703-549-1500, ext 1371.
- The recipient is chosen by the National Medicine, Science and Health Care Awards Committee and approved by the Executive Committee of the American Diabetes Association.
Previous Outstanding Physician-Clinician Award Winners
1975 Edgar A. Haunz, MD
1976 David Hurwitz, MD
1977 Henry E. Oppenheimer, MD
1978 Priscilla White, MD
1979 Marvin E. Levin, MD
1980 Harold Rifkin, MD
1981 James M. Moss, MD
1982 George P. Heffner, MD
1983 Harvey C. Knowles, Jr., MD
1984 Alan L. Graber, MD
1985 Burritt L. Haag, MD
1986 Holbroke S. Seltzer, MD
1987 O. Peter Schumacher, MD, PhD
1988 Allan L. Drash, MD
1989 Fred W. Whitehouse, MD
1990 James R. Gavin III, MD, PhD
1991 Christopher D. Saudek, MD
1992 Saul M. Genuth, MD
1993 Alice N. Bessman, MD
1994 Lester Baker, MD
1995 Lois Jovanovic, MD
1996 F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer, MD, MPH
1997 Bruce R. Zimmerman, MD
1998 Julio V. Santiago, MD
1999 Lloyd M. Aiello, MD
2000 Robert A. Rizza, MD
2001 H. Peter Chase, MD
2002 David M. Nathan, MD
2003 Richard A. Guthrie, MD, FAAP, FACE, CDE
2004 Irl B. Hirsch, MD
2005 Matthew C. Riddle, MD
2006 Bernard Zinman, MD, FACP, FRCP
2007 Richard M. Bergenstal, MD
2008 Anne L. Peters, MD, FACP, CDE
2009 Daniel Lorber, MD, FACP, CDE
2010 William Tamborlane, MD, FAAP, FACE
2011 Jerry P. Palmer, MD
Outstanding Physician Educator Award
This Award was merged with the Outstanding Clinician Award in 1999
1975 Alexander Marble, MD
1976 Leona V. Miller, MD
1977 Philip W. Felts, MD
1978 Frederick C. Goetz, MD
1979 John K. Davidson, MD
1980 Leon P. Krall, MD
1981 John W. Runyan, MD
1982 Ann Lawrence, MD, PhD
1983 Donnell D. Etzwiler, MD
1984 H. St. George Tucker, Jr., MD
1985 Charles R. Shuman, MD
1986 J. Stuart Soeldner, MD
1987 Ronald A. Arky, MD
1988 Daniel W. Foster, MD
1989 Oscar B. Crofford, MD
1990 Mayer B. Davidson, MD
1991 Marvin E. Levin, MD
1992 John A. Colwell, MD, PhD
1993 John H. Karam, MD
1994 Fred Whitehouse, MD
1995 Luther B. Travis, MD
1996 Edward S. Horton, MD
1997 Mark E. Molitch, MD
1998 Arthur Krosnick, MD, CDE
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!