Outstanding Scientific Achievement Award
This award recognizes outstanding scientific achievement in diabetes research, taking into consideration independence of thought, originality, significance of discovery, and impact on his/her area of research.
Criteria for Selection
- Nominee will have demonstrated significant, independent contribution in their selected area of diabetes research, including diabetes pathogenesis, treatment and/or prevention.
- Nominee must be actively engaged in some aspect of diabetes research at the time the award is given.
- Nominee must be less than 50 years of age on January 1 of the award year.
- Nominee must have MD, PhD degree or equivalent.
- Both U.S. and non-U.S. residents are eligible for award.
- Contributions and volunteer service to both national and international diabetes organizations and the broader diabetes community may also be taken into consideration.
- Recipient will deliver the Outstanding Scientific Achievement Award (OSAA) Lecture at the annual Scientific Sessions.
- The recipient receives a $5,000 honorarium.
- Offered the opportunity to publish the lecture in an American Diabetes Association journal.
- Award includes round-trip coach airfare for winner and spouse and hotel stay for up to seven nights. Also include meeting and other travel-related expenses.
- Includes complimentary registration for Scientific Sessions for winner and a family member.
- Nominations are accepted from any professional member of the American Diabetes Association.
- Letter of nomination (no more than 400 words), signed by no more than 3 individuals, will be accepted. Letter of nomination should address criteria for selection (see Award Profile below).
- Nominee’s CV with career and publication highlights.
- Annotated list of the nominee’s 5 most significant publications.
- The recipient is chosen by the Medicine, Science, and Health Care Awards Committee and approved by the Executive Committee of the American Diabetes Association.
Previous Award Winners:
1957 Solomon A. Berson, MD
1958 James B. Field, MD
1959 Marvin D. Siperstein, MD, PhD
1960 Albert E. Renold, MD
1961 Rosalyn S. Yalow, PhD
1962 Harry N. Antoniades, PhD
1963 James M. B. Bloodworth, Jr., MD
1964 Roger H. Unger, MD
1965 George F. Cahill, Jr., MD
1966 Norbert Freinkel, MD
1967 David M. Kipnis, MD
1968 Robert G. Spiro, MD
1969 Donald F. Steiner, MD
1970 Oscar B. Crofford, MD
1971 Daniel Porte, Jr., MD
1972 John H. Exton, PhD
1973 Arthur H. Rubenstein, MD
1974 Jesse Roth, MD
1975 Pedro Cuatrecasas, MD
1976 Philip Felig, MD
1977 Peter H. Bennett, MD
1978 J. Denis McGarry, PhD
1979 Leonard S. Jefferson, PhD
1980 Jerrold M. Olefsky, MD
1981 C. Ronald Kahn, MD
1982 Michael P. Czech, PhD
1983 Howard S. Tager, PhD
1984 Alan D. Cherrington, PhD
1985 Steven J. Jacobs, MD
1986 George S. Eisenbarth, MD, PhD
1987 Ralph A. DeFronzo, MD
1988 John E. Gerich, MD
1989 Richard N. Bergman, PhD
1990 Graeme I. Bell, PhD
1991 Jeffrey S. Flier, MD
1992 Simeon Taylor, MD, PhD
1993 Michael A. Brownlee, MD
1994 Kenneth S. Polonsky, MD
1995 Barbara B. Kahn, MD
1996 Jeffrey E. Pessin, PhD
1997 Gerald I. Shulman, MD, PhD
1998 Michael M. Mueckler, PhD
1999 Morris F. White, PhD
2000 Luciano Rossetti, MD
2001 Christopher B. Newgard, PhD
2002 Camillo Ricordi, MD
2003 Domenico Accili, MD
2004 Mark A. Atkinson, PhD
2005 Philipp E. Scherer, PhD
2006 Markus Stoffel, MD, PhD
2007 Gökhan S. Hotamışlıgil, MD, PhD
2008 Matthias von Herrath, MD
2009 Randy J. Seeley, PhD
2010 Martin G. Myers, Jr. MD, PhD
2011 Matthias Tschöp, MD
If you have diabetes, you are a Red Strider. Register today.
Start summer with some sizzle! Recipes for fish tacos, grilled mango, and more.
This new cookbook is packed with more than 150 mouthwatering recipes for every occasion!
Custom invitations and table cards with your honor gift.
Our new meal planning tools made just for you.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Order your Diabetes Forecast®! 12 Grilled Favorites and 35+ Travel Tips. Start Here
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Sign up for our FREE recipe club and get cookin’!
Learn more about NASCAR driver Ryan Reed and his mission!
Are you incorporating fish into your diet? Learn why you should!
Learn more about how you can better manage your diabetes.
Fairness for kids with diabetes at camp and other programs
Visit our online community today!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes