Federal Funding for Diabetes Research and Programs
- Increase funding for the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Division of Diabetes Translation.
- Reauthorization of Special Diabetes Programs for type 1 research and programs in Native American/Alaska Native communities.
- Funding for the National Diabetes Prevention Program to support community-based programs to prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Seek innovative ways to increase the overall federal funding dedicated to diabetes research and prevention.
- Ensure public and private health insurance options, including those under the Affordable Care Act, Medicare, and Medicaid, provide access to the services, tools and education necessary to meet the needs of people with diabetes and prediabetes.
- Primary prevention of type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes.
- Oppose laws and policies resulting in unfair treatment of people with diabetes, focusing on employment.
- Laws and policies specifically focused on reducing the disparate impact of diabetes on minority communities.
Research and Surveillance
- Expansion of screening, diagnosis, data collection and treatment of women with gestational diabetes and their children.