- Ensure public and private health insurance options, including those under the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid, provide affordable access to the services, medications, technology, and education necessary to meet the needs of people with diabetes and prediabetes.
- Oppose efforts to repeal or create loopholes in laws in 46 states and the District of Columbia mandating diabetes coverage in state-regulated insurance plans.
- Safe at School: Ensure students with diabetes are medically safe and have access to the same educational opportunities as peers without diabetes. Legislation and regulation focus on:
- Permitting students who are able to do so to self-manage their disease.
- Making sure trained school personnel are available to perform routine and emergency diabetes care tasks.
- Law Enforcement: Support efforts to train law enforcement officers about diabetes.
- Driver's Licenses: Ensure laws and policies for private and commercial licenses result in fair treatment of people with diabetes.
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes for individuals with prediabetes and in the general population, including efforts to reduce obesity and improve nutrition and physical activity.
Diabetes Programs and Surveillance
- Funding for Diabetes Prevention and Control Programs and other diabetes public health programs.
State Coordination on Diabetes
- Initiatives to assess the burden of diabetes and to develop and implement policy recommendations.
- Specific initiatives to reduce the disparate impact of diabetes in minority communities.
- Support funding for diabetes research
- Oppose efforts to limit research opportunities