Call to Congress
Announcing Call to Congress 2017
On Wednesday, March 29 through Friday, March 31, Diabetes Advocates from across the country will come to Washington, D.C. to share their stories and tell Congress to Stop Diabetes.
During this exciting 3-day event, Diabetes Advocates will have the opportunity to network with other advocates from around the country, have a face to face meeting with members of Congress or their staff, and strategize on bringing diabetes advocacy back to their communities.
By sharing their personal struggles with diabetes with Congress and taking a leadership role in advocacy efforts in their communities, Call to Congress participants are national leaders in diabetes advocacy.
Call to Congress Agenda
Wednesday, March 29
- 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm – Public policy advocacy training/preparation for day on Capitol Hill
- 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm – Reception
Thursday, March 30
- 7:30 am – 8:30 am – Breakfast at the hotel
- 8:30 am – 9:00 am – Walk to Capitol Hill (transportation will be provided on request)
- 9:00 am – 4:00 pm – Constituent meetings with Members of Congress and staff (Capitol Hill*)
- 4:30 pm – 5:30 pm – Hill visits debrief
- 5:30 pm - Dinner on your own
Friday, March 31
- 7:30 am – 12:00 pm – Taking Your Advocacy Activities Home: Learn how you can use the momentum from Call to Congress to motivate and activate fellow advocates in your community, and continue your advocacy efforts throughout the year to make a difference.
Call to Congress concludes at noon, so please do not book your departure before 3 p.m. EST.
How Are Advocates Selected?
Our goal is to involve Diabetes Advocates from around the country, while also making sure that the group as a whole reflects the diversity of individuals affected by diabetes. Priority will be given to Diabetes Advocates who are in current volunteer leadership positions, have consistently taken action in response to advocacy alerts, who have been involved in local advocacy activities, and/or who live in key Congressional districts.
Event Location and Details:
- All room reservations must be made through the American Diabetes Association online meetings site to ensure the group rate, as well as to eliminate additional fees for the Association.
Expenses Covered by the American Diabetes Association:
- Training Sessions and materials both before and during Call to Congress
- Briefing materials
- Meals during the event, except Thursday dinner
Expenses Covered by Call to Congress Attendees:
- Air travel and ground transportation to and from the event hotel (Attendees must arrive at the hotel no later than noon Eastern Time on Wednesday, March 29, and leave the hotel no earlier than noon Eastern Time of Friday, March 31.)
- Reservations at the hotel
- Thursday evening dinner and other entertainment