Announcing Call to Congress 2018
This coming March 21 - 23, Diabetes Advocates from across the country will gather in Washington, D.C. to share their stories and urge Congress to join us in fighting diabetes.
During this inspiring 3-day event, Diabetes Advocates will have the opportunity to network with other advocates from around the country, have face-to-face meetings with members of Congress or their staff, and strategize on how to make diabetes a priority in communities across the country.
Applications to Call to Congress 2018 are no longer being accepted. Applicants have been notified of their status.
Call to Congress is the launching point for our advocacy activities through the rest of the year. By sharing their diabetes stories with Congress and taking a leadership role in advocacy efforts in their communities, Call to Congress participants are key leaders in our diabetes advocacy.
Call to Congress Agenda
Wednesday, March 21
- 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm – Advocacy training on key issues and preparation for day on Capitol Hill
- 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm – Reception
Thursday, March 22
- 7:30 am – 8:30 am – Breakfast meeting at the hotel
- 8:30 am – 9:00 am – Transportation to Capitol Hill
- 9:00 am – 4:00 pm – Constituent meetings with Members of Congress and staff (Capitol Hill)
- 5:30 pm – Dinner on your own
Friday, March 23
- 7:30 am – 12:00 pm – Plan diabetes advocacy back home
NOTE: Do not book your departure before 3 p.m. EST, as the event doesn’t conclude until noon.
How Are Advocates Selected?
Our goal is to involve Diabetes Advocates from around the country, and ensure attendees reflect the diversity of the diabetes community. Priority will be given to those who are in current volunteer leadership positions, have consistently taken action in response to advocacy alerts, who have been involved in local advocacy activities, and/or who live in key Congressional districts.
Event Location and Details:
- Call to Congress 2018 will be held in Downtown DC.
- Located in the center of the city it is on the Red Line of the Metro Rail system.
- All room reservations must be made through the American Diabetes Association online meetings site to ensure the group rate and ensure your inclusion in the event.
Expenses Covered by the American Diabetes Association:
- Meals during the event, except Thursday dinner
- Training sessions and materials both before and during Call to Congress
- Briefing materials
- Transportation to Capitol Hill on Thursday morning
Expenses Covered by Call to Congress Attendees:
- Air travel and ground transportation to and from the event hotel
- (Attendees must arrive at the hotel no later than 12:00 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 21, and leave the hotel no earlier than 12:00 p.m. ET on Friday, March 23.)
- Reservations at the hotel
- Thursday evening dinner
- There is a very limited scholarship pool; you can apply for these funds when an application is submitted. Applicants who are accepted will be notified of any scholarship monies granted when they receive their registration link.