Hometown Advocates in Action
Resources for Association local volunteer leaders and staff sharing our Advocacy priorities and accomplishments, and recruiting and engaging new advocates in your community.
The following resources are available to assist you in your advocacy efforts:
Including Advocacy at Local Events and Programs:
- Easy Advocacy Checklists for Association Events
- Messaging Tools — Marketing tools, advocacy stories, and key message documents that you can use to show your event participants how advocacy delivers on our mission, and improves the lives of people living with and at risk for diabetes. New Resource Available: Diabetes Discrimination Stories from Diabetes Forecast®!
- Recruiting Advocates — Materials for building a stronger base of local advocacy support, including recruiting new grassroots advocates, and recruiting attorneys and health care professionals to advocate for people with diabetes through our Legal Advocacy Networks.
Local Market Planning — Communication and coordination with key advocacy players is essential in planning and implementing advocacy at Association events. Information on reaching out to and forming your advocacy team, and tools for planning local strategy and activities.
Training Webinars — Each year our local staff and volunteers are invitied to participate in live broadcast webinars on a variety of topics related to local advocacy outreach and engagement. Recordings of these webinars can be viewed at anytime.
Key Advocacy Handouts:
- 2012 Advocacy Accomplishments Highlights — Highlights of advocacy accomplishments for 2012.
- 2013 Federal and State Legislative Priorities — Lists all Federal and State Legislative priorities for 2013. Appropriate for use with both internal and external audiences.
- 2013 State Fact Sheets — Key facts about the prevalence and human and economic costs of diabetes. For sharing with the general public and public officials.
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!