Local Market Planning
- 2013 Advocates in Action Calendar — The roadmap for guiding local advocacy efforts in 2013. It lists both leadership and grassroots tactics for each month. Tactics denoted as most closely aligned with the goals of the Associaiton's Strategic Plan should be included in the strategic plan of every market.
- Elected Officials at Events — American Diabetes Association policy and tips for including elected officials at Association events.
- Annual Strategic Alignment Planning Tool for Local Market Advocacy (PDF) (DOCX) — This tool is designed to assist Advocacy Chairs, Executive Directors and State Advocacy Directors in leading Community Leadership Board discussion and drafting of their advocacy goals which are a part of their overall Annual Strategic Alignment plans.
- 2014 Advocates in Action Calendar (PDF) (DOCX) — This calendar is the roadmap for our Advocates in Action initiative – focusing on hometown advocacy recruitment, engagement and support. The Calendar lists month by month supports that will be provided to local advocacy volunteer and staff leaders, corresponding with specific year-round advocacy goals and activities.
- Local Association staff should be included in any discussion of implementing advocacy at Association events.
- The following two documents are templates to be used by the local Community Leadership Board, as tools to outline the role and responsibilities of the local Advocacy Chair, and local Advocacy Committee. All Community Leadership Boards should identify a member of the board to serve as Advocacy Chair. Many communities also have an Advocacy Committee in place. Both documents provide a general outline for these roles, but should be modified to meet local needs.
- State Advocacy Directors - These regional staff are key consultants for all local advocacy efforts; this map shows their designated states and contact information
- 2013 Government Affairs and Advocacy Update: Presentation Kit
Listed below are links to key files for use by Advocacy Chairs in providing an update to your Community Leadership Boards (CLB).
- PowerPoint Slide Presentation (for projecting at CLB meeting)
- PDF of Slides and Script Notes (for use by Advocacy Chair or other presenter)
- PDF of the CLB Presentation Slides Only (no script) - may be printed for CLB members, especially if a projected slide show is not feasible
- PDF Tips Sheet for PowerPoint Files
- The following files should be printed and distributed to each CLB member:
- 2012 Community Presentation
- PowerPoint Slide Presentation — Created for use by local volunteers and staff in outreach to community clubs and organizations to let them know how the association delivers mission through advocacy.
- Accompanying Script for Slide Presentation — A PDF file that shows both the slide image and script text for each slide of the above listed PowerPoint presentation.
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!