Articles on Police Response/Prison Issues
Articles from Diabetes Forecast® (DF) must be used as is, and may not be altered for other purposes.
- Articles may be reprinted for educational and not for profit purposes (to increase awareness).
- Reprints (of articles) must retain the proper citations already printed in each pdf file, including: author, date of DF issue, page numbers, title of article.
- Reprints (of articles), which you are welcome to make and share, must include the entire article. Sections of an article may not be pulled out and used separately.
- The front page of each article, from the original pdf file, may be enlarged for use as a visual (such as a poster or sign) – as is, without altering the colors, spacing, font or other aspects.
- It is acceptable to quote passages from articles, with proper attribution included. Proper attribution includes the name of the magazine (ex: Diabetes Forecast®), issue month and year and title of the article. The style is to put the title of article in quotation marks – see example below. If the passage is a direct quotation from a source in the story, that person's name, credentials, and affiliation should also be noted – see example below.
- Example of a citation: Diabetes Forecast®, November 2011, "Two Wheeled Advocacy."
- Example of a quotation: "For me, it became more of an awareness [campaign], to put the bill on their radar screen." Marcus Grimm, Lancaster, PA, Member of Team Type 1.
Date: September, 2003
Topic of Article: Enough is Enough–Steve Rosen
Type of Police/Prison Case: Police Interrogations, Failure to Provide Medical Care
Numerous individuals over the years were not provided the diabetes supplies and care they needed to be safe in prison, whether during interrogations or later in detainment. A federal class action lawsuit - based on deliberate indifference to serious medical needs - resulted in an agreement where Philadelphia must now provide medical care.
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!