The Staggering Costs of Diabetes
- Diabetes affects 30 million children and adults in the U.S. That's 1 in 11 Americans.
- 84 million Americans have prediabetes and are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes. 90% of them din't know they have it.
- Every 21 seconds someone in the U.S is diagnosed with diabetes.
- African Americans and Hispanics are over 50% more likely to have diabetes as non-Hispanic whites.
- People with diabetes are at higher risk of serious health complications: stroke, blindness, kidney disease, and loss of toes, feet, or legs.
- The total cost of diabetes and prediabetes in the U.S. is $322 billion.
- The average price of insulin increased nearly 3 times between 2002 and 2013.
- People with diabetes have health care costs 2.3 times greater than those without diabetes.
Learn more at diabetes.org.