There are 1,440 minutes in every day. Set aside 30 of them to exercise!
Start small, but eventually, you should do at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity 5 days per week. The number of calories you burn in that amount of time depends on the intensity of the activity you do.
- Higher intensity activities require less time spent to burn calories
- Lower intensity activities require more time spent to burn the same amount of calories
One minute burns 3.5 calories. 30 minutes burns 105 calories.
- Walking slowly
- Golf, powered cart
- Slow treading in the swimming pool
- Light gardening or pruning
- Bicycling, very light effort
- Dusting or vaccuming
- Gentle stretching
One minute burns 3.5 to 7 calories. 30 minutes burns 105 to 210 calories.
- Walking briskly
- Golf, pulling or carrying clubs
- Swimming, recreational
- Mowing lawn, power motor
- Tennis, doubles
- Bicycling (or using a stationay bike) 5 to 9 mph, level terrain, or with a few hills
- Scrubbing floors or washing windows
- Weight lifting, machines or free weights
One minute burns more than 7 calories. 30 minutes burns more than 210 calories.
- Race walking, jogging or running
- Swimming laps
- Mowing lawn, handmower
- Tennis, singles
- Bicycling more than 10 mph, or on steep uphill terrain
- Moving or pushing furniture
- Circuit training
Guides to Healthy Living
Sign up for our monthly Consumer Books enewsletter and be the first to know about our newest cookbooks and guides on meal planning, nutrition, weight control and self care.
Thank you for signing up!
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes