Be More Active Throughout the Day
In addition to planned aerobic exercise and strength training, there are many chances to be active throughout the day.
Remember – moving more can help keep your blood glucose levels on target and also burn more calories!
More and more research is finding that sitting too much for long periods of time is harmful to our health especially related to heart health, mental health and increased risk for becoming disabled.
Just getting up once every 30 minutes to stretch or walk around the house or workplace is better than sitting for hours on end. Take every chance you can to get up and move. Wearing a pedometer will track your steps and may help you stay on track with daily activity.
Here are just a few ways you can do it:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever you can
- Get up once every 30 minutes while you are at work and take a quick walk around your building
- Stand up and stretch whenever you can
- Take a walk around your building during your lunch break
- If you take the train or bus to work or elsewhere, get off a stop earlier and walk the rest of the way to work
- Use a speaker or mobile phone so you can walk around your office during breaks
- Try some chair exercises during the day while at your desk
- Doing housework such as vacuuming, dusting, or washing dishes counts
- Even yard work such as mowing the lawn or raking leaves counts too
- Play with the kids – play catch or throw the Frisbee around
- Walk in place during the commercials of your favorite television show
- Make more trips when carrying groceries or laundry to get more steps in
- Walk around the house or up and down stairs while you talk on the phone
- Take the dog for a walk around the block
While You're Out and About
- Park at the far end of the shopping center lot and walk to the store
- Get off the train or bus one or two stops early to get more steps in
- Walk to the store and take the longer route to increase your steps
- Do a lap or two around the perimeter of the store before shopping
- If you are at the airport and waiting for a flight, walk through the terminal
- When on a road trip, stop often to stretch and walk around