Sample Shopping List
Use the list below as a guide on your next trip to the grocery store. (Depending on your preferences and the amount of people you are feeding, you may not need all of the items on this list.)
- Fresh fruit (a few of your favorites)
- Fresh vegetables (a few of your favorites - focus mostly on non-starchy vegetables)
- Skim, 1% low-fat milk, or unsweetened soy milk (whatever you prefer)
- Non-fat or low-fat yogurt
- Eggs or egg substitute
- Low-fat cottage cheese
- Reduced-fat cheese
- Lean low-sodium sandwich meats (turkey, ham, roast beef)
- Trans-free margarine or margarine with plant sterols or stanols
- Frozen fruit
- Frozen vegetables
- Fish fillets or shellfish
- Frozen chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- Frozen meals (lower-sodium, lean options for days when time is tight)
- Balsamic vinegar or other vinegars that you cook with (for example, white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or rice vinegar)
- Spices – your favorites
- Salt-free dried herb or spice blends
- Cooking spray
- Vegetable oil
- Olive oil
- Canned vegetables
- Canned fruit (canned in juice)
- Canned beans (low-sodium if available)
- Fat-free refried beans
- Canned tuna or salmon
- Instant oatmeal or quick oats
- Whole grain cereal (unsweetened)
- Brown rice or other whole grains (for example, quinoa, bulgur, or whole grain barley)
- Pasta (try whole wheat)
- 100% whole wheat bread or pita bread
- Dried fruit
- Unsalted nuts
- Natural peanut butter or another nut butter
- Seeds (sunflower, flax)
- Popcorn (light, microwave)
- Potatoes (white or sweet)
- Spaghetti sauce
Last Reviewed: August 23, 2013
Last Edited: August 26, 2013
Guides to Healthy Living
Sign up for our monthly Consumer Books enewsletter and be the first to know about our newest cookbooks and guides on meal planning, nutrition, weight control and self care.
Thank you for signing up!
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!