Sample Shopping List
Using the list below as a guide on your next trip to the grocery store. Print out the list and stick to it next time you are out buying food.
- Fruit (variety of colors)
- Vegetables (variety of colors)
- Low fat milk
- Non-fat or low-fat yogurt
- Eggs or egg substitute
- Low-fat cottage cheese
- Reduced-fat cheese
- Lean low-sodium sandwich meats (turkey, ham, roast beef)
- Bacon substitute
- Trans-free margarine or margarine with plant sterols or stanols
- Frozen fruit
- Frozen vegetables
- Fish fillets or shellfish
- Frozen chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- Frozen meals (lower-sodium, lean options only)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Spices – your favorites
- Salt-free dried herb or spice blends
- Salt substitute
- Cooking sprays
- Canola oil
- Olive oil
- Canned vegetables
- Canned fruit (canned in juice)
- Canned beans (low-sodium if available)
- Fat-free refried beans
- Canned tuna or salmon
- Instant oatmeal or quick oats
- Whole grain cereal
- Pasta (try whole wheat)
- Brown rice Dried fruit
- 100% whole wheat bread
- 100% whole wheat pita bread
- Peanut butter
- Seeds (sunflower, flax)
- Popcorn (light, microwave)
- Potatoes (white, sweet)
- Spaghetti sauce
- Soup (low-sodium versions)
- Whole wheat crackers
- Whole wheat flour
Guides to Healthy Living
Sign up for our monthly Consumer Books enewsletter and be the first to know about our newest cookbooks and guides on meal planning, nutrition, weight control and self care.
Thank you for signing up!
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes