Emotions and Eating
Emotions can influence what, when, and how much we eat. For example, you have probably heard that some people eat to cope with stress. Another example is when people eat to preoccupy themselves when they feel bored.
When you eat based on your emotions, it can hinder your weight loss efforts. Usually, situations that trigger negative emotions prompt eating. Find out which emotions trigger your desire to eat using the chart below.
- Review the words below.
- Think about the emotion in each box.
- Note any emotions that trigger your desire for food.
- In the last column, add any other words that describe emotions or situations that trigger you to eat.
|Blue||Grief||Nervous||Time to eat|
Remember which emotions trigger you to eat. If you have recently eaten and find yourself craving food, do a quick emotional check. Do you want food because you are hungry—or to fill an emotional need? Here are some tips to keep your eating in check:
- Be honest with yourself about which emotions trigger you to eat.
- Write a list of other things to do to fulfill that emotional need, e.g., call a friend, take a walk, drink a bottle of spring water, send an email to a pal, do a few yoga stretches, etc.
- Assess your physical hunger using the Hunger-Satiety Rating Scale.
- Remember that food will not make your emotions go away (it won’t fix anything).
- Track the food you eat, how hungry you are when you eat, and how you feel at the time. You may get a better idea of which emotions trigger eating when you are not physically hungry.
- If you are having a hard time, reach out for help. Involve family and friends to help support your weight loss efforts. Support groups, therapy, and members of your health care team can also help.
Guides to Healthy Living
Sign up for our monthly Consumer Books enewsletter and be the first to know about our newest cookbooks and guides on meal planning, nutrition, weight control and self care.
Thank you for signing up!
If you have diabetes, you are a Red Strider. Register today.
Start summer with some sizzle! Recipes for fish tacos, grilled mango, and more.
This new cookbook is packed with more than 150 mouthwatering recipes for every occasion!
Custom invitations and table cards with your honor gift.
Our new meal planning tools made just for you.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Order your Diabetes Forecast®! 12 Grilled Favorites and 35+ Travel Tips. Start Here
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Sign up for our FREE recipe club and get cookin’!
Learn more about NASCAR driver Ryan Reed and his mission!
Are you incorporating fish into your diet? Learn why you should!
Learn more about how you can better manage your diabetes.
Fairness for kids with diabetes at camp and other programs
Visit our online community today!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes