Your Weight Loss Plan
Are you ready to lose weight? You’ll boost your chances for success by making a realistic, achievable plan. Remember to pick a few realistic goals – maybe start with one change in your diet and one physical activity change.
Remember to take it one step at a time, and to stay patient. Permanent weight loss won’t happen over night! Make your plan as specific as possible. Use the outline below as a guide.
Where am I now?
Example: I am 40 pounds over my desired weight.
Here’s what I’ll do to start working toward weight loss:
- I’ll take a 30-minute brisk walk 5 days a week at lunchtime.
- I’ll switch to diet soda and water instead of drinking regular soda and sweet tea.
Here’s when I’ll do it:
- During the week, I’ll walk for 30 minutes during my lunch hour.
- Every meal – and between.
Here’s what I need to get ready:
- I’ll need comfortable walking shoes.
- I’ll need to buy diet sodas.
This might get in the way of my plan:
- If it’s raining, I won’t be able to walk outside.
- I might run out of diet soda.
If that happens, I’ll do this instead:
- I’ll go to the recreation center and walk around inside.
- I’ll plan ahead to make sure that I don’t run out or I can drink water instead.
Here’s when I’ll start:
Example: I’ll start working toward both of these goals on Monday.
Here’s how I’ll reward myself (try to stay away from rewards that involve food):
Example: I’ll go to the movies if I stick to my plan for the next month.
Once you’ve reached your first goals, set more!
Example of next steps:
- I will walk for 40 minutes instead of just 30 minutes, 5 days a week.
- I will change my afternoon snack from cookies to fruit.
Guides to Healthy Living
Sign up for our monthly Consumer Books enewsletter and be the first to know about our newest cookbooks and guides on meal planning, nutrition, weight control and self care.
Thank you for signing up!
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!