Your Weight Loss Plan
Are you ready to lose weight? You’ll boost your chances for success by making a realistic, achievable plan. Remember to pick a few realistic goals – maybe start with one change in your diet and one physical activity change.
Remember to take it one step at a time, and to stay patient. Permanent weight loss won’t happen over night! Make your plan as specific as possible. Use the outline below as a guide.
Where am I now?
Example: I am 40 poinds over my desired weight.
Here’s what I’ll do to start:
- I’ll take a brisk walk 5 days a week for half of my lunch hour (30 minutes).
- I’ll switch to diet soda and water instead of drinking regular soda and sweet tea.
Here’s when I’ll do it:
- I’ll walk after eating during the second half of my lunch hour at work.
- Every meal – and between.
Here’s what I need to get ready:
- I’ll need comfortable walking shoes.
- I’ll need to buy diet sodas.
This might get in the way of my plan:
- If it’s raining, I won’t be able to walk outside.
- I might run out of diet soda.
If that happens, I’ll do this instead:
- I’ll go to the recreation center and walk around inside.
- I’ll plan ahead to make sure that I don’t run out or I can drink water instead.
Here’s when I’ll start:
Example: I’ll start working toward both of these goals on Monday.
Here’s how I’ll reward myself (try to stay away from rewards that involve food):
Example: I’ll go to the movies if I stick to my plan for the next month.
Once you’ve reached your first goals, set more!
Example of next steps:
- I will walk for 40 minutes instead of just 30 minutes, 5 days a week.
- I will change my afternoon snack from cookies to fruit.
Guides to Healthy Living
Sign up for our monthly Consumer Books enewsletter and be the first to know about our newest cookbooks and guides on meal planning, nutrition, weight control and self care.
Thank you for signing up!
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes