Boneless Barbecue "Wings": Diabetes & Heart Healthy Cookbook, 2nd Edition
These delicious, low-calorie Boneless Barbecue "Wings" are the perfect appetizer or main dish. The low-sodium ingredients and use of chicken breasts makes the dish heart-healthy and diabetes-friendly - perfect for everyone to enjoy!
This recipe is from our new cookbook, Diabetes & Heart Healthy Cookbook, 2nd Edition by the American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association.
Serving Size: 2 pieces chicken and scant 1 1/2 teaspoons sauce
2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt-free seasoned pepper blend
1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon red hot-pepper sauce
1 cup crushed corn flake cereal (about 2 1/2 cups flakes)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all visible fat discarded, cut into 28 strips
1/4 cup barbecue sauce (lowest sodium available)
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a medium shallow dish, stir together the flour and seasoned pepper blend. In a second shallow dish, whisk together the buttermilk and hot-pepper sauce. Put the corn flake crumbs in a third shallow dish. Set the dishes and baking sheet in a row, assembly-line fashion. Working in batches, dip the chicken in the flour mixture, then in the buttermilk mixture, and finally in the corn flake mixture, turning to coat at each step and gently shaking off any excess. Using your fingertips, gently press the coating mixture so it adheres to the chicken.
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the top of the chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the coating is crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce, vinegar, and honey.
- Add the chicken to the sauce, stirring gently to coat, or serve the sauce on the side.
Calories from Fat: 10
Total Fat: 1g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Trans Fat: 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g
Monounsaturated Fat: 0.5g
Total Carbohydrate: 8g
Dietary Fiber: Sugars: 3g
1/2 carbohydrate, 1 lean meat