One-Pot Comfort Shepherd's Pie: The Diabetes Fast-Fix Slow-Cooker Cookbook
Comfort foods don't have to be loaded with fat to be good! Slow cook this healthy One-Pot Comfort Shepherd's Pie and enjoy the winter favorite guilt free. Chef's Note from author Nancy S. Hughes: When buying potato flakes, be sure to purchase brands that do not include hydrogenated oils.
This recipe is from our new cookbook, The Diabetes Fast-Fix Slow-Cooker Cookbook: Fresh Twists on Family Favorites by Nancy S. Hughes, author of Gluten-Free Recipes for People with Diabetes and The 4-Ingredient Diabetes Cookbook.
Yield: 6 cups
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste 1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons trans-fat-free margarine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups instant potato flakes
1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- Coat a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onions, cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ground beef, cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the beef mixture and bring to a boil over medium- high heat. Place mixture in slow cooker with the tomato paste, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Top with the mixed vegetables.
- In the same skillet, prepare topping. Combine remaining 1 1/3 cups water with the margarine and 1/4 teaspoon salt in the skillet and bring to a boil over medium- high heat.
- Remove skillet from heat; stir in the potato flakes and milk until blended. Spoon the potatoes on top of the vegetables, spread evenly over all. Cover and cook on low only for 3 hours.
- Turn off heat and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 15 minutes, uncovered, to absorb liquid and thicken slightly.
Calories from Fat: 80
Total Fat: 9g
Saturated Fat: 3.5g
Trans Fat: 0.5g
Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
Total Carbohydrate: 34g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat