Create Your Plate
Create Your Plate is a simple and effective way to manage your blood glucose levels and lose weight. With this method, you fill your plate with more non-starchy veggies and smaller portions of starchy foods and protein—no special tools or counting required!
You can practice with this interactive tool. The healthy meal combinations are endless!
Ready to try it at home? Just follow these seven simple steps.
*Disclaimer: The actual amount of vegetables represented in this tool is not to scale because of the differences in types of vegetables. When creating your plate at home, remember that half of your plate is filled with non-starchy vegetables and that your options are endless.
Create Your Plate!
Seven Simple Steps to Create Your Plate
It's simple and effective for both managing diabetes and losing weight. Creating your plate lets you still choose the foods you want, but changes the portion sizes so you are getting larger portions of non-starchy vegetables and a smaller portion of starchy foods. When you are ready, you can try new foods within each food category.
Try these seven steps to get started:
- Using your dinner plate, put a line down the middle of the plate. Then on one side, cut it again so you will have three sections on your plate.
- Fill the largest section with non-starchy vegetables. See this list of non-starchy vegetables.
- Now in one of the small sections, put grains and starchy foods. See this list of grains and starchy foods.
- And then in the other small section, put your protein. See this list of protein foods.
- Add a serving of fruit, a serving of dairy or both as your meal plan allows.
- Choose healthy fats in small amounts. For cooking, use oils. For salads, some healthy additions are nuts, seeds, avocado and vinaigrettes.
- To complete your meal, add a low-calorie drink like water, unsweetened tea or coffee.
Taking the guesswork out of portion control has never been easier. It can be a challenge to manage portion control wherever you are. Now, our best-selling, sectioned to-go plate with easy-sealing lid is offered in a 4-pack. Whether you're at home, the office, or somewhere in between, you have an easy portion control solution that works.