Protein and Vegetarian Diets
Those who follow a vegetarian diet do not eat any beef, pork, poultry, or fish. Some do not include eggs and/or dairy products either.
These are all high-protein foods that are plentiful in the traditional American diet. In the past, many people thought those who followed a vegetarian diet were not getting enough protein.
However, research has shown that Americans are already getting more protein than they need. Protein is not a problem with a vegan or vegetarian diet when you eat a variety of the many plant foods that provide protein:
- Dried beans or canned beans that have been rinsed (black, pinto, garbanzo, navy, kidney, etc.)
- Other bean products (bean spreads, hummus, fat-free refried beans, baked beans or falafel)
- Peas (black-eyed or split)
- Nuts and nut spreads (almonds, almond butter, peanuts, peanut butter, walnuts, pistachios, cashews, etc.)
- Soy and Soy Products (soy milk, edamame, soy nuts, tofu, tempeh)
- Meat Substitutes (veggie burgers, black bean burgers, meatless “chicken nuggets”, “beef” crumbles, etc. These can be found in most grocery stores.)
Last Reviewed: August 1, 2013
Last Edited: August 9, 2013
Guides to Healthy Living
Sign up for our monthly Consumer Books enewsletter and be the first to know about our newest cookbooks and guides on meal planning, nutrition, weight control and self care.
Thank you for signing up!
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!