Low-fat Milk and Yogurt
Including sources of dairy in your diet is an easy way to get calcium and high-quality protein. Many dairy products, like non-fat light yogurt, can be eaten as a dessert with only about 15 grams of carbohydrate and 100 calories per 6 oz container.
What are the best choices?
The best choices of dairy products are:
- Fat-free or low-fat (1% milk)
- Plain non-fat yogurt (regular or Greek yogurt)
- non-fat light yogurt (regular or Greek yogurt)
- unflavored fortified soy milk
If you are lactose intolerant or don't like milk, you may want to try fortified soy milk, rice milk, or almond milk as a source of calcium and vitamin D.
- Each 1 cup serving of milk or 6 ounce serving of yogurt has about 12 grams of carbohydrate and 8 grams of protein. Greek yogurt is higher in protein than regular yogurt, with about 12 grams per 6 ounce serving.
- If you are trying to switch to lower fat dairy products, take the time to get used to the taste and texture difference. For example, first change from whole milk to 2%. Then to 1% or non-fat milk.
- Switching from whole to 1% milk will save you 70 calories and 4 grams of saturated fat in every serving!
Tips for Carb Counters
1 cup of milk or yogurt is equal to 1 small piece of fruit or 1 slice of bread
Tips for the Plate Method
Your meal plan calls for 8 ounces of milk. If you don’t drink milk, you can substitute another carbohydrate containing food like yogurt, a piece of fruit or a small dinner roll.
Tips for using the Glycemic Index
Milk has a low glycemic index so choose lower-fat dairy products to fit into your meals.
Guides to Healthy Living
Sign up for our monthly Consumer Books enewsletter and be the first to know about our newest cookbooks and guides on meal planning, nutrition, weight control and self care.
Thank you for signing up!
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!