Your Weight Loss Plan
Are you ready to lose weight? You’ll boost your chances for success by making a realistic, achievable plan. Remember to pick a few realistic goals – maybe start with one change in your diet and one physical activity change.
Remember to take it one step at a time, and to stay patient. Permanent weight loss won’t happen over night! Make your plan as specific as possible. Use the outline below as a guide.
Where am I now?
Example: I am 40 pounds over my desired weight.
Here’s what I’ll do to start working toward weight loss:
- I’ll take a 30-minute brisk walk 5 days a week at lunchtime.
- I’ll switch to diet soda and water instead of drinking regular soda and sweet tea.
Here’s when I’ll do it:
- During the week, I’ll walk for 30 minutes during my lunch hour.
- Every meal – and between.
Here’s what I need to get ready:
- I’ll need comfortable walking shoes.
- I’ll need to buy diet sodas.
This might get in the way of my plan:
- If it’s raining, I won’t be able to walk outside.
- I might run out of diet soda.
If that happens, I’ll do this instead:
- I’ll go to the recreation center and walk around inside.
- I’ll plan ahead to make sure that I don’t run out or I can drink water instead.
Here’s when I’ll start:
Example: I’ll start working toward both of these goals on Monday.
Here’s how I’ll reward myself (try to stay away from rewards that involve food):
Example: I’ll go to the movies if I stick to my plan for the next month.
Once you’ve reached your first goals, set more!
Example of next steps:
- I will walk for 40 minutes instead of just 30 minutes, 5 days a week.
- I will change my afternoon snack from cookies to fruit.