Stop Diabetes @ Work
Stop Diabetes @ Work is a research-based initiative that can be customized to fit within your existing wellness efforts or used as a stand-alone healthy worksite program.
- Employer Portal - Download turnkey materials that can be co-branded and shared with employees all year long.
- Employee Resources - Provide your employees access to tools with healthy lifestyle advice, recipes, diabetes management information, and electronic trackers.
- American Diabetes Association Weight Talk® - Offer employees with or without diabetes personalized weight loss programs done over the phone and online with an evidence-based curriculum.
- Local American Diabetes Association Resources - Work with your local Association experts to develop a program that will meet the needs of your employees.
To become involved with Stop Diabetes @ Work, answer a few quick questions. An Association representative will contact you soon.
Facts About Diabetes
Diabetes is a leading cause of heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney failure, and amputation. It also leads to more sick days and less productivity on the job.
According to Kaiser Family Foundation data, the American Diabetes Association's workplace cost calculator estimates that for a company with 1,000 employees:
- 120 employees have diabetes
- 34 of them are undiagnosed
- 370 have prediabetes
- $3.9 million is the average annual insurance cost for employees with diabetes and prediabetes
- $724,506 is the annual increased cost if 25 percent of employees with prediabetes develop diabetes
The good news is, type 2 diabetes can be prevented, and it isn’t as hard as you might think. Losing just 7% of your body weight (which translates to 15 pounds if you weigh 200 pounds) and exercising moderately (like brisk walking) 5 days a week can reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes by 58%. Lifestyle changes also can prevent or delay diabetes complications.