Camp PowerUp - New Orleans
About the Camp
Camp PowerUp is a week-long day camp for youth who are at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes. Camp will offer an educational and fun-filled environment and will focus on wellness educaion, nutrition, physical activity and obesity prevention. The Camp is a great blend of fun activities and wellness education to help children learn about diabetes and prevention. Field trips will also be provided.
Criteria to Be a Camp Participant
This camp is for children with risk factors for developing type 2 diabetes, but not formally diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Please talk with your doctor for specific criteria. *Priority will be given to children who meet 1 or more of the below listed criteria.
A child between ages of 7 to 12 years with at least one of the risk factors below:
- Overweight with BMI percentile > 90-95%
- Family history of type 2 diabetes
- First degree relative with type 2 diabetes (parent or sibling)
- Diagnosis of hypertension currently on medication or last clinic appointment in the past 6 months with systolic blood pressure > 95% for gender, age and height
- Diagnosis of hyperlipidemia currently on medication or last fasting lipid panel within the past 6 months with triglycerides > 200 or LDL > 150
- Diagnosis of fatty liver or last liver function tests within the past 6 months with AST or ALT > 45
- HbA1c in the past 6 months: 5.7% - 6.4%
- Diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Ethnic background at a higher risk for type 2 diabetes (i.e. African Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans)
This camp will be offered FREE for campers who meet the criteria, are referred by their physician and complete all necessary paperwork before the June 1st deadline.
Applications Open Soon
More Information About the Camp
Drop-Off and Pick-Up Times
- Drop-off is 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., Monday through Friday
Pick-up is 4:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Parent meeting 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Tennis Shoes
- NO electronics or cell phones - no exceptions