Camp PowerUp - San Antonio
About the Camp
Camp Power Up is a week-long day camp for youth who are at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes. Camp will offer an educational and fun-filled environment and will focus on diabetes education, nutrition, physical activity and obesity prevention. The Camp is a great blend of fun activities and wellness education to help them learn about diabetes and diabetes prevention. Family education will be available at the conclusion of each day for full family engagement. Field trips will also be provided, and camp will conclude with camp graduation and presentations to families.
Criteria to Be a Camp Participant
This camp is for children with multiple risk factors for developing type 2 diabetes, but not formally diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Please talk with your doctor for specific criteria.
A child between ages of 10 to 14 years with obesity (BMI ≥95%) and family history of type 2 diabetes PLUS one of the following criteria:
- 1st degree relative with type 2 diabetes (parent or sibling)
- Diagnosis of hypertension currently on medication or last clinic appointment in the past 3 months with systolic blood pressure ≥ 95% for gender, age and height
- Diagnosis of hyperlipidemia currently on medication or last fasting lipid panel within the past 3 months with triglycerides ≥200 or LDL ≥ 150
- Diagnosis of fatty liver or last liver function tests within the past 3 months with AST or ALT ≥ 45
- HbA1c in the past 3 months 5.7% - 6.4%
- Diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome
Limited Space Available. Once referred by physician, contact 210-829-1765 to submit application.
Camp Fee: FREE - ($700 value waived with physician referral)
Breakfast, snacks, and lunch are provided.Apply for Camp
More Information About the Camp
Drop-Off and Pick-Up Times
Drop-off is 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., Monday through Friday.
Pick-up is 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Tennis shoes
- Water bottle
- NO electronics or cell phones
- Swim wear on Tuesday and Thursday
Thanks to Our Sponsors