Camp Wana Kura
About the Camp
The American Diabetes Association's Camp Wana Kura day camp is held alongside the lakes and under the trees at Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve in San Diego County. Campers, ages 5 to 12, play water games, sing songs, run relays, do crafts, swim, go paddle boating, learn new things and connect with other kids living with diabetes while building new friendships.
Financial assistance is available, based on need.
Camp fee is not refundable after June 10, 2016.
Camp is Full
Camp is now full, however, we are still accepting applications for our waitlist. To be added to the waitlist for possible openings, please complete the online application. You must select a payment option in order for the application to be submitted. Select "Pay Entire Balance by Check" but do not mail a check. If space becomes available, you will be contacted and payment can be made at that time.
Thank you for inquiring about American Diabetes Association Camp Wana Kura and supporting the American Diabetes Association.
More Information About the Camp
- Submit payment.
- Download and complete the supplemental forms (see link on webpage). These forms MUST be completed and returned to the San Diego office no later than June 10, 2016.
- The camper is not guaranteed a space at camp until the online registration, fees, AND supplemental forms have been received by the Association.
- Due to limited capacity, Camp Wana Kura is only open for children with diabetes.
- Please note that the online registration form AND the supplemental forms are two separate documents. Both sets of forms must be turned in no later than June 10, 2016.
For Teen Volunteers
If you are a teen and interested in volunteering, please read the information below before completing the on-line application:
- Apply early, positions are limited.
- Teens with diabetes must be at least 13 years of age (as of July 19, 2016).
- Teens without diabetes must be 15 to 17 years of age (as of July 19, 2016).
- Preference will be given to teens with diabetes and those who have siblings with diabetes.
- Teens should plan to volunteer for all 4 days and participate in training activities.
- Service credit: Service credit will be awarded based on participation (32 hours maximum for the camp session).
- Complete online registration, then download and complete the supplemental forms.
- Online registration must be completed AND supplemental forms must be completed and returned to the San Diego office, no later than June 10, 2016.
- Teens are expected to attend a mandatory training on Saturday, July 16, 2016.
For Adult Volunteers
If you are a returning adult volunteer, you will be sent an email invitation with information on how to register. If you are a new adult volunteer, please contact Camp Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org for an email invitation with information on how to log on to register as an adult staff member.
- Complete the online registration form to initiate the background check process.
- A health history and supplemental forms will need to be completed and returned by June 10, 2016.
Drop Off Instructions
Tell the gate attendant that you are dropping off a camper; you will not be charged a parking fee. Proceed to the north end of Lake 5.
All American Diabetes Association campers and staff at 2016 Diabetes Camps are required to be up to date on immunizations. More information can be found in the Camp application and supplemental forms. For questions, contact your local American Diabetes Association office.
The current schedule (2016 update coming soon) can be found at www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/easy-to-read/. Please note that the HPV vaccine is not required for Camp.