Camp Wana Kura
About the Camp
The American Diabetes Association's Camp Wana Kura day camp is held alongside the lakes and under the trees at Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve in San Diego County. Campers, ages 5 to 12 and teen aides, ages 13-17, play water games, sing songs, run relays, do crafts, swim, go paddle boating, learn new things and connect with other kids living with diabetes while building new friendships.
Financial assistance is available, based on need.
Camp fee is not refundable after June 10, 2018.
Registration opens April 1, 2018 and registration can be found at diabetes.org/adacampwanakura.
Applications Open Soon
Teen Aides, ages 13-17 are encouraged to apply.
More Information About the Camp
For registration, please visit diabetes.org/adacampwanakura. There will be a link to the ACTIVE website where you can register, submit payment, and complete supplemental forms.
- Registration and forms MUST be completed online or returned to the San Diego office no later than June 10, 2018.
- The camper is not guaranteed a space at camp until the online registration, fees, AND supplemental forms have been received by the Association.
- Due to limited capacity, Camp Wana Kura is only open for children with diabetes.
- Please note that the online registration form AND the supplemental forms are two separate documents on your online account. Both sets of forms must be turned in no later than June 10, 2018.
For Teen Volunteers
If you are a teen and interested in volunteering, please read the information below before completing the on-line application:
- Apply early, positions are limited.
- Teens with diabetes must be at least 13 years of age (as of July 24, 2018).
- Teens without diabetes must be 15 to 17 years of age (as of July 24, 2018).
- Preference will be given to teens with diabetes and those who have siblings with diabetes.
- Teens should plan to volunteer for all 4 days and participate in training activities.
- Service credit: Service credit will be awarded based on participation (32 hours maximum for the camp session).
- Complete online registration and supplemental forms, then download and complete the supplemental forms.
- Online registration must be completed AND supplemental forms must be completed online or returned to the San Diego office, no later than June 10, 2018.
- Teens are expected to attend a mandatory training scheduled tentatively for Saturday, July 21, 2018.
For Adult Volunteers
If you are a returning adult volunteer, you will be sent an email invitation with information on how to register. If you are a new adult volunteer, please contact Camp Staff at email@example.com for an email invitation with information on how to log on to register as an adult staff member.
Adult volunteers and Adult Medical volunteers are welcomed and encouraged to join us at camp. Registration is through the same web portal as campers and teens. Please visit diabetes.org/adacampwanakura.
- Complete the online registration form to initiate the background check process. All adults must go through an adult background check.
- A health history and supplemental forms will need to be completed online and returned by June 10, 2018.
Drop Off Instructions
Tell the gate attendant that you are dropping off a camper; you will not be charged a parking fee. Proceed to the north end of Lake 5.