Camp Wana Kura
About the Camp
The American Diabetes Association's Camp Wana Kura day camp is held alongside the lakes and under the trees at Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve in San Diego County. Campers, ages 5 to 12, play water games, sing songs, run relays, do crafts, swim, go paddle boating, learn new things and connect with other kids living with diabetes while building new friendships.
Financial assistance is available, based on need.
Camp fee is not refundable after June 9, 2017.
Applications Open Soon
Teen Aides, ages 13-17 are encouraged to apply.
More Information About the Camp
- Submit payment.
- Download and complete the supplemental forms (see link on webpage). These forms MUST be completed and returned to the San Diego office no later than June 9, 2017.
- The camper is not guaranteed a space at camp until the online registration, fees, AND supplemental forms have been received by the Association.
- Due to limited capacity, Camp Wana Kura is only open for children with diabetes.
- Please note that the online registration form AND the supplemental forms are two separate documents. Both sets of forms must be turned in no later than June 9, 2017.
For Teen Volunteers
If you are a teen and interested in volunteering, please read the information below before completing the on-line application:
- Apply early, positions are limited.
- Teens with diabetes must be at least 13 years of age (as of July 18, 2017).
- Teens without diabetes must be 15 to 17 years of age (as of July 18, 2017).
- Preference will be given to teens with diabetes and those who have siblings with diabetes.
- Teens should plan to volunteer for all 4 days and participate in training activities.
- Service credit: Service credit will be awarded based on participation (32 hours maximum for the camp session).
- Complete online registration, then download and complete the supplemental forms.
- Online registration must be completed AND supplemental forms must be completed and returned to the San Diego office, no later than June 9, 2017.
- Teens are expected to attend a mandatory training scheduled tentatively for Saturday, July 15, 2017.
For Adult Volunteers
If you are a returning adult volunteer, you will be sent an email invitation with information on how to register. If you are a new adult volunteer, please contact Camp Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org for an email invitation with information on how to log on to register as an adult staff member.
- Complete the online registration form to initiate the background check process.
- A health history and supplemental forms will need to be completed and returned by June 9, 2017.
Drop Off Instructions
Tell the gate attendant that you are dropping off a camper; you will not be charged a parking fee. Proceed to the north end of Lake 5.