Learning at Camp
Learn more about diabetes, while having FUN
Most kids don’t realize it because they’re having so much fun, but a lot of learning goes on at the American Diabetes Association’s Diabetes Camps.
While having fun and hanging out with other kids and adults with diabetes, campers learn a lot about living with diabetes, but don't worry, it's nothing like a school classroom!
Camp counselors also work one-on-one with campers to teach self-care and model appropriate diabetes self-management.
We understand that self-care takes time to master. At Diabetes Camps, campers:
- Learn at their own pace.
- Discover ways to manage diabetes and start developing skills to help take care of oneself.
- Build self-confidence and prepare, if ready, to start accepting more responsibility for diabetes self-management.
- Take steps toward self-care!
- Our approach is learn by doing
- We look for “teachable moments” to help campers learn more about managing diabetes in new and different situations
- We use a variety of methods to share age-appropriate diabetes knowledge and skills
- Our team helps campers gain confidence and self-sufficiency
- Some Camps offer formal diabetes education classes
- The overall focus is tailored diabetes education — and FUN!