Colorado Diabetes Prevention Programs
What is Prediabetes?
- A blood sugar level that is higher than normal but not high enough to be classified as diabetes.
- Risk is highest in overweight adults over the age of 45, have family history of diabetes or history of gestational diabetes.
- It is estimated that 1 in 3 adults in Colorado have pre-diabetes.
- For adults over age 64, the estimate is 1 in 2.
- More information from the American Diabetes Association on prediabetes.
What is the Diabetes Prevention Program?
Participants in the Diabetes Prevention Program aim to lose 5%-7% of their body weight by reducing fat and calories, and by behing physically active for 150 mintes a week. During the 16-week core program participants learn useful information about eating nutritious foods, eating the right portion sizes, reading food labels, and adding physical activity. Participants in the National Diabetes Prevention Program that lost 5-7% of their body weight decreased their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58 percent.
Eligibility for the Diabetes Prevention Program - Take the Risk Test!
- 18 years and older and a BMI of 24 or greater
- Diagnosis of prediabetes using a blood test from a primary care physician
- History of gestational diabetes
- Scoring 9 or higher on the risk test.
Find a Local Diabetes Prevention Program
The American Diabetes Association Colorado is one of the first community-based organizations that will provide the Diabetes Prevention Program. Our initial program will be offered in Spanish with support from Kaiser Permanente. View a list of all Colorado Diabetes Prevention Programs, as well as the YMCA of Metro Denver Diabetes Prevention Program.
Para la información sobre el programa de la prevención de la diabetes en eso será proporcionado por la Asociación Americana de la Diabetes en español, llaman por favor 720-855-1102 ext. 7032.
Learn more about the launch of the Diabetes Prevention Program in Colorado.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes