Colorado Diabetes Prevention Program
If you want to find out more about prediabetes or diabetes prevention programs in your area, please call 1-800-DIABETES (800-342-2383).
What is Prediabetes?
- A blood sugar level that is higher than normal but not high enough to be classified as diabetes.
- Risk is highest in overweight adults over the age of 45, have family history of diabetes or history of gestational diabetes.
- It is estimated that 1 in 3 adults in Colorado have prediabetes.
- For adults over age 64, the estimate is 1 in 2.
- More information from the American Diabetes Association on prediabetes.
What is the Diabetes Prevention Program?
Participants in the Diabetes Prevention Program aim to lose 5%-7% of their body weight by reducing fat and calories, and by being physically active for 150 minutes a week. During the 16-week core program participants learn useful information about eating nutritious foods, eating the right portion sizes, reading food labels, and adding physical activity. Participants in the National Diabetes Prevention Program that lost 5-7% of their body weight decreased their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58 percent.
Eligibility for the Diabetes Prevention Program
- 18 years and older and a BMI of 24 or greater
- Diagnosis of prediabetes using a blood test from a primary care physician
- History of gestational diabetes
- Scoring 9 or higher on the risk test.
- Take the Risk Test using the Prediabetes Screening Widget at the bottom of the page.
Find a Local Diabetes Prevention Program
The American Diabetes Association Colorado is one of the first community-based organizations that will provide the Diabetes Prevention Program. Our initial program will be offered in Spanish with support from Kaiser Permanente. View a list of all Colorado Diabetes Prevention Programs, as well as the YMCA of Metro Denver Diabetes Prevention Program.
Para la información sobre el programa de la prevención de la diabetes en eso será proporcionado por la Asociación Americana de la Diabetes en español, llaman por favor 720-855-1102 ext. 7032.
Learn more about the launch of the Diabetes Prevention Program in Colorado.