Advisory Committee Background Information
Houston ADA Research Proposal Advisory Committee
Vision: We would like to increase the funding success of research proposals submitted to the ADA by providing investigators the option for a group of experienced diabetes investigator to pre-review and provide critique and feedback prior to the submission to the ADA.
Charge: On a voluntary basis, review ADA research proposals for investigators who desire such review and feedback prior to the submission of their proposals.
Primary Reviewers and Steering Committee:
Mandeep Bajaj, M.D.
Lawrence Chan, M.D.
Dale Hamilton, M.D.
Morey W. Haymond, M.D.
Jake Kushner, M.D.
Victor Lavis, M.D.
Philip R. Orlander, M.D.
Ralston Creswell, CAE, Administrative support for the Committee
Adhoc Reviewers (as of Aug. 7, 2012):
Fida Bacha, M.D.
Dennis M. Bier, M.D.
Ashok Balasubramanyan, M.D.
Willa Hsueh, M.D.
Requirements of the Reviewers: Reviewers must have research experience and have been funded independent investigators in their own right. They must be familiar with the review criteria used by the ADA. All materials submitted for review will be kept confidential and destroyed once the review has been completed and provided to the investigator. Individuals serving on the review committee for the ADA (National) can review only proposals from their own institution as they will not be involved with the review at the national level. Reviewers will be required to identify whether they have any conflicts with any proposals or investigators that they asked to review. Should a conflict be identified the reviewer would not be permitted to critique the proposal. Reviewers commit to the time line outlined below.
- Investigators planning to submit proposals to the ADA for funding can on a voluntary basis (i.e. there is no requirement by the Houston or National ADA) request a review from the Research Proposal Advisory Committee.
- All proposals for review must be submitted to the Steering Committee four (4) weeks prior to the deadline.
- Materials submitted as a single PDF
- The materials to be submitted would include:
- PIs Biosketch
- Hypotheses and Specific Aims page
- Complete proposal
- The proposals will be assigned for review by the Steering Committee.
- Reviewers will make a commitment at the time of request of turning the review around in 7 working days. Reviewers will remain anonymous unless they chose to identify themselves.
- The Reviews will be in keeping with the format of the ADA and will be distributed back to the investigator by the Houston ADA by 14 days from initial submission.
Outcomes: In exchange for the review, the PIs are requested to inform the Steering committee if the proposal is actually submitted to the ADA. The Steering Committee can obtain from the ADA the names of the funded investigators. In this way we hopefully can determine whether this pre-review is of benefit to the investigator and whether it increases the percentage of grants funded in our area.
If you have diabetes, you are a Red Strider. Register today.
Start summer with some sizzle! Recipes for fish tacos, grilled mango, and more.
This new cookbook is packed with more than 150 mouthwatering recipes for every occasion!
Custom invitations and table cards with your honor gift.
Our new meal planning tools made just for you.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Order your Diabetes Forecast®! 12 Grilled Favorites and 35+ Travel Tips. Start Here
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Sign up for our FREE recipe club and get cookin’!
Learn more about NASCAR driver Ryan Reed and his mission!
Are you incorporating fish into your diet? Learn why you should!
Learn more about how you can better manage your diabetes.
Fairness for kids with diabetes at camp and other programs
Visit our online community today!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes