Live EMPOWERED Workshops
Live EMPOWERED, is an American Diabetes Association faith-based program targeting the African American community, developed to provide churches with a foundation for integrating diabetes awareness messages and healthy living tips into the life of the family and church. It engages the church in a variety of year-round activities that provide health lessons which improve the health of those church members living with diabetes, their families and the greater community as well.
Description of Workshops
- Fit and Faithful, Body and Soul: This workshop teaches the importance of physical activity and maintaining a healthy weight in the management of diabetes. Participants learn why physical activity is important and how to incorporate more movement into their daily routine.
- O’ Taste and See: Demonstrates healthy eating and cooking for the entire family, particularly family members with diabetes, and how best to integrate healthy eating into everyday life. Participants will learn healthier ways to prepare food and be able to identify appropriate portion sizes.
- Choose to Live: Sisters Strong Together is a workshop designed to educate African Americans about the risks associated with cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Heart disease is the number one cause of death for African Americans with diabetes, yet the majority is unaware of their increased risk for heart attack and stroke.
- POWER Over Diabetes: This workshop creates awareness about diabetes, diabetes management and treatment of diabetes.
- Train Up A Child: This workshop creates awareness that type 2 diabetes is increasing among African American youth and teaches how to assist youth in becoming healthier.
Upcoming Community Events
Check back for updates.
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!