Tampa and Southwest Florida
1511 North Westshore Boulevard
Tampa, FL 33607
View Larger Map
Find a Recognized Education Program Near You.
Floridians are increasingly feeling the effects of diabetes as thousands of people suffer from the disease, and many others may have diabetes and not know it! It is estimated that one out of every three children born after 2000 in the United States will be directly affected by diabetes.
That is why the American Diabetes Association's Southwest Florida office is committed to educating the public about how to stop diabetes and support those living with the disease.
We are here to help.
Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes®
We Step Out to do our part to Stop Diabetes! Participants are changing the future and making a positive impact in the lives of those who are affected by diabetes. Step Out participants are committed to walk and raise money in this inspirational event not because 26 million people in the United States have diabetes, but because they walk among us in our lives and at the event.
Orlando Step Out
Saturday, November 2, 2013
Harbor Park, Lake Baldwin, Florida
Tampa Step Out
Saturday, November 9, 2013
University of South Florida
Tour de Cure®
Go Red Rider! – That’s the theme of our Southwest Florida Tour de Cure where we have almost 1000 riders come out to join the fight against Diabetes! From beginner all the way to expert riders, they show their support while riding one of our four different cycling routes. Tour de Cure participants cultivate a community that is dedicated to raise money and awareness through their unique personalities and commitment to the cause.
SUnday, March 16, 2014
UCF College of Medicine
Southwest Florida Tour
Sunday, March 30, 2014
Lakewood Ranch Main Street
Community Walk to Stop Diabetes
Are you passionate about stopping diabetes? If there isn't a Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes in your area, you could become a Volunteer Walk Coordinator for Community Walk to Stop Diabetes! This is a new initiative of the American Diabetes Association's movement to Stop Diabetes. These local grass roots walk events are organized by local Volunteer Walk Coordinators in towns and cities across the country. Learn more by visiting the Community Walk website.
2012 Accomplishments in Tampa and Orlando
Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes
- Close to 3500 Participants registered to walk at Step Out
- Over $610,000 Dollars raised in Step Out to support the Association's Mission
- 59 Champions (walkers who raised $1,000+) raised $105,000 total
- 344 Red Striders (people with diabetes) walked proudly!
Tour de Cure
- 1,800 Cyclists rode in Tour de Cure
- $500,000 Dollars raised in Tour de Cure to support the Association's Mission
- 57 Champions (riders who raised $1,000+) raised $113,000 total
- 136 Red Riders (people with diabetes) rode proudly!
Father of the Year
- Four dads honored at Father of the Year event
- $106,000 raised through Father of the Year to support the Association's Mission
- 30+ Churches delivered diabetes messaging through Live Empowered activities in the faith based community reaching 14,000 people
- 619 New Advocates recruited
- 29 Families living with diabetes reached through Safe at School Workshops to help protect their children from discrimination at school
- 1,148 Healthcare professionals reached and educated
- 25,468,200 Media impressions
- $339,250 American Diabetes Association dollars funding research in Sanford Burnham Institute, Orlando, FL
Check Out Opportunities with the Volunteer Center
We welcome your help.
Your involvement as an American Diabetes Association volunteer — whether on a local or national level — will help us expand our community outreach and impact, inspire healthy living, intensify our advocacy efforts, raise critical dollars to fund our mission, and uphold our reputation as the moving force and trusted leader in the diabetes community.
Find volunteer opportunities in our area through the Volunteer Center.
Other Ways to Interact With Us
Additional Upcoming Events
See a list of events this month and for upcoming months.
Click on small arrows next to the month’s name to advance list to next month.
Some months may not have any events.
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!