Stop Diabetes @ Work
Stop Diabetes @ Work is a research-based initiative that can be customized to fit within your existing wellness efforts or used as a stand-alone healthy worksite program.
- Employer Portal - Download turnkey materials that can be co-branded and shared with employees all year long.
- Employee Portal -Visit co-branded website with healthy lifestyle advice, recipes, diabetes management information, and electronic trackers.
- American Diabetes Association Weight Talk® and Weight Talk® D - Offer employees with or without diabetes personalized weight loss programs done over the phone and online with an evidence-based curriculum.
- Local American Diabetes Association Resources - Work with your local Association experts to develop a program that will meet the needs of your employees.
To become involved with Stop Diabetes @ Work, the first step is to take a quick survey so we can assess your needs and begin to customize a program. Sign up now.
Facts about diabetes:
Diabetes is a leading cause of heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney failure, and amputation. It also leads to more sick days and less productivity on the job.
According to Kaiser Family Foundation data, the American Diabetes Association’s workplace cost calculator estimates that for a company with 1,000 employees:
- 100 employees have diabetes
- 27 of them are undiagnosed
- 250 have prediabetes
- $2.7 million is the average annual insurance cost for employees with diabetes and prediabetes
- $912,438 is the annual increased cost if 50 percent of employees with prediabetes develop diabetes
The good news is, type 2 diabetes can be prevented, and it isn’t as hard as you might think. Losing just 7% of your body weight (which translates to 15 pounds if you weigh 200 pounds) and exercising moderately (like brisk walking) 5 days a week can reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes by 58%. Lifestyle changes also can prevent or delay diabetes complications.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes