Stop Diabetes @ Work
Stop Diabetes @ Work is a research-based initiative that can be customized to fit within your existing wellness efforts or used as a stand-alone healthy worksite program.
- Employer Portal - Download turnkey materials that can be co-branded and shared with employees all year long.
- Employee Portal -Visit co-branded website with healthy lifestyle advice, recipes, diabetes management information, and electronic trackers.
- American Diabetes Association Weight Talk® and Weight Talk® D - Offer employees with or without diabetes personalized weight loss programs done over the phone and online with an evidence-based curriculum.
- Local American Diabetes Association Resources - Work with your local Association experts to develop a program that will meet the needs of your employees.
To become involved with Stop Diabetes @ Work, the first step is to take a quick survey so we can assess your needs and begin to customize a program. Sign up now.
Facts about diabetes:
Diabetes is a leading cause of heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney failure, and amputation. It also leads to more sick days and less productivity on the job.
According to Kaiser Family Foundation data, the American Diabetes Association’s workplace cost calculator estimates that for a company with 1,000 employees:
- 100 employees have diabetes
- 27 of them are undiagnosed
- 250 have prediabetes
- $2.7 million is the average annual insurance cost for employees with diabetes and prediabetes
- $912,438 is the annual increased cost if 50 percent of employees with prediabetes develop diabetes
The good news is, type 2 diabetes can be prevented, and it isn’t as hard as you might think. Losing just 7% of your body weight (which translates to 15 pounds if you weigh 200 pounds) and exercising moderately (like brisk walking) 5 days a week can reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes by 58%. Lifestyle changes also can prevent or delay diabetes complications.
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!