8 Ways to Heat Up Date Night
Get your heart really pumping on your next date night and sneak in some exercise. With a sense of adventure (and perhaps a sense of humor), you could be on your way to burning enough calories for dessert!
- Dance the night away. Salsa, tango, or foxtrot with your special someone. Ballroom dancing can burn a whopping 240-380* calories in a one-hour session.
- Wander about winter. Take advantage of all winter has to offer. Start a snow ball fight. Build a snowman. Go ice skating or cross country skiing.
- Walk the dog. Take a leisurely walk with your sweetie and the pooch. Some restaurants and cafes now allow canines in outdoor seating areas. Or, pack a picnic and head towards the park.
- Window shop. A 30-minute stroll before or after a meal can burn 90-130 calories. You can also break it up into two 15-minute sessions.
- Rent a movie. Cue up a fitness video from the library, video store, DVR, or online. Trying a new type of exercise, such as yoga or aerobics, at home allows you the freedom to make mistakes and laugh at yourself (or your partner).
- Do some good. Volunteering at a hospital, youth program, school, or park can keep you moving and provide you and your loved one with some special bonding time.
- Go bowling. Not only is bowling a fun activity to do as a couple or with a group of friends, it is also a great way to strengthen muscles and improve flexibility.
- Quick and easy. Don’t forget the simple ways to burn calories, whether you are on date night or just out and about. Take the stairs. Park at the far end of the parking lot. Avoid the automatic doors and open the door for your date yourself.
* Calories burned are determined for an individual who weighs 150 pounds. Actual calories burned are slightly less for individuals who weigh less than 150 pounds and are slightly more for individuals who weigh more than 150 pounds.
first posted Feb. 5, 2009
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes