8 Ways to Heat Up Date Night
Get your heart really pumping on your next date night and sneak in some exercise. With a sense of adventure (and perhaps a sense of humor), you could be on your way to burning enough calories for dessert!
- Dance the night away. Salsa, tango, or foxtrot with your special someone. Ballroom dancing can burn a whopping 240-380* calories in a one-hour session.
- Wander about winter. Take advantage of all winter has to offer. Start a snow ball fight. Build a snowman. Go ice skating or cross country skiing.
- Walk the dog. Take a leisurely walk with your sweetie and the pooch. Some restaurants and cafes now allow canines in outdoor seating areas. Or, pack a picnic and head towards the park.
- Window shop. A 30-minute stroll before or after a meal can burn 90-130 calories. You can also break it up into two 15-minute sessions.
- Rent a movie. Cue up a fitness video from the library, video store, DVR, or online. Trying a new type of exercise, such as yoga or aerobics, at home allows you the freedom to make mistakes and laugh at yourself (or your partner).
- Do some good. Volunteering at a hospital, youth program, school, or park can keep you moving and provide you and your loved one with some special bonding time.
- Go bowling. Not only is bowling a fun activity to do as a couple or with a group of friends, it is also a great way to strengthen muscles and improve flexibility.
- Quick and easy. Don’t forget the simple ways to burn calories, whether you are on date night or just out and about. Take the stairs. Park at the far end of the parking lot. Avoid the automatic doors and open the door for your date yourself.
* Calories burned are determined for an individual who weighs 150 pounds. Actual calories burned are slightly less for individuals who weigh less than 150 pounds and are slightly more for individuals who weigh more than 150 pounds.
first posted Feb. 5, 2009
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!