Common Reasonable Accommodations for Individuals with Diabetes
Examples of common reasonable accommodations for individuals with diabetes
- Breaks to check blood glucose levels, eat a snack, take medication, or go to the bathroom
- A place to rest until blood sugar levels become normal
- The ability to keep diabetes supplies and food nearby
- The ability to test blood glucose and inject insulin anywhere at work
- If requested, a private area to test blood glucose or administer insulin
- Modifications to no-fault attendance policies
- Leave for treatment, recuperation, or training on managing diabetes (you may also be entitled to this under the Family and Medical Leave Act)
- The opportunity to work a modified work schedule or to work a standard shift as opposed to a swing shift
- For individuals with diabetic neuropathy (a nerve disorder caused by diabetes), permission to use a chair or stool
- For individuals with diabetic retinopathy (a vision disorder caused by diabetes), large screen computer monitors or other assistive devices
You may need other accommodations. These are just some examples.
Reasonable accommodations are any modifications or adjustments to a job or work environment that enable qualified applicants or employees with disabilities to participate in the application process or to perform essential job functions.
Reasonable accommodations also include adjustments to ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities have rights and privileges in employment equal to those of employees without disabilities.
The important thing is for you and your employer to discuss your individual needs.
If you have diabetes, you are a Red Strider. Register today.
Start summer with some sizzle! Recipes for fish tacos, grilled mango, and more.
This new cookbook is packed with more than 150 mouthwatering recipes for every occasion!
Custom invitations and table cards with your honor gift.
Our new meal planning tools made just for you.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Order your Diabetes Forecast®! 12 Grilled Favorites and 35+ Travel Tips. Start Here
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Sign up for our FREE recipe club and get cookin’!
Learn more about NASCAR driver Ryan Reed and his mission!
Are you incorporating fish into your diet? Learn why you should!
Learn more about how you can better manage your diabetes.
Fairness for kids with diabetes at camp and other programs
Visit our online community today!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes