Resources to Address Discrimination
Webinar: Legal Advocacy 101 for Health Care Professionals
On June 18, 2013 a Free Webinar was held, focused on discrimination due to diabetes and resources to help health care professionals advocate for their patients. Webinar participants commented: “Excellent overview about the issues. Great information. Very helpful. Well conceived and presented.” The session is now available online for all: health care professionals, attorneys and anyone else interested in fighting for the fair treatment of those who have diabetes. Click here to view this webinar.
Addressing employment discrimination:
- Free webinar: American Association of Diabetes Educators: Diabetes Goes to Work presented by Daniel Lorber, MD, FACP, CDE and Katharine Gordon, ADA-Novo Nordisk Staff Attorney.
Click here for a copy of the transcript.
A fee required to view this webinar only if you are obtaining CE credit.
- Thomas, V., Lorber, D.; "Diabetes Goes to Work: Helping Your Patient Access the Protections of the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act", Practical Diabetology, November/December 2009
- Sample diabetes accommodation request letter
- Thomas, V. Gostin, L.; "The Americans with Disabilities Act: Shattered Aspirations and New Hope", JAMA, 2009; 301(1):95-97
Addressing school discrimination:
- 60th Annual Advanced Postgraduate Course, New York, February 22-24, 2013
Pre-Conference Workshop: Advocating on Behalf of the Student with Diabetes, February 22, 2013 from 10:00 am to 11:30 am
The goal of this workshop is to provide the vital information that healthcare professionals need to educate the families of their pediatric diabetes patients about their legal rights and to advocate to ensure that the diabetes needs of students are met so that they have the same education opportunities as their peers.
- "The Cruicial Role of Health Care Professionals in Advocating for Students with Diabetes,"Clinical Diabetes, Volume 30, Number 1, 2012
- School training modules
- National Diabetes Education Program, "Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel"
Click here to read about some of our health care volunteers and how they are helping to end discrimination.