Legal Rights of Students with Diabetes
First Edition, October 2005 (updated October 2009)
Prepared By: James A. Rapp, Shereen Arent, Brian L. Dimmick, Katharine Gordon, Crystal Jackson
Please be aware that this notebook is not legal advice and cannot substitute for the advice of a licensed attorney in situations where legal advice is needed. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought.
Download entire notebook (PDF)
Select sections of notebook to download: (PDF)
- What is this Notebook and How Should it Be Used?
- What Should Advocates Know About Diabetes?
- What Are Key Terms and Concepts for Diabetes Advocates?
- What Legal Protections are Available for Students?
- How Should Needed Services and Accommodations Be Requested?
- What is the Process for Deciding Which Services and Accommodations Will Be Provided?
- How Should Needed Services and Accommodations Be Documented?
- What Diabetes Care Services and Accommodations Should Be Provided?
- Who Should Provide Diabetes Care to Students?
- May Diabetes Care Tasks Be Performed by Non-Medical or Non-Nursing Personnel?
- What Academic Modifications Should Be Provided?
- What Accommodations Should Be Provided Outside the Classroom or the School?
- How Does Diabetes Affect Student Discipline?
- How are Disagreements Resolved?
- Are State Tort Remedies Available in the School Setting?
- What Legal Protections Are Available for Postsecondary Students?
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!