Legal Rights of Students with Diabetes
First Edition, October 2005 (updated October 2009)
Prepared By: James A. Rapp, Shereen Arent, Brian L. Dimmick, Katharine Gordon, Crystal Jackson
Please be aware that this notebook is not legal advice and cannot substitute for the advice of a licensed attorney in situations where legal advice is needed. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought.
Download entire notebook (PDF)
Select sections of notebook to download: (PDF)
- What is this Notebook and How Should it Be Used?
- What Should Advocates Know About Diabetes?
- What Are Key Terms and Concepts for Diabetes Advocates?
- What Legal Protections are Available for Students?
- How Should Needed Services and Accommodations Be Requested?
- What is the Process for Deciding Which Services and Accommodations Will Be Provided?
- How Should Needed Services and Accommodations Be Documented?
- What Diabetes Care Services and Accommodations Should Be Provided?
- Who Should Provide Diabetes Care to Students?
- May Diabetes Care Tasks Be Performed by Non-Medical or Non-Nursing Personnel?
- What Academic Modifications Should Be Provided?
- What Accommodations Should Be Provided Outside the Classroom or the School?
- How Does Diabetes Affect Student Discipline?
- How are Disagreements Resolved?
- Are State Tort Remedies Available in the School Setting?
- What Legal Protections Are Available for Postsecondary Students?
If you have diabetes, you are a Red Strider. Register today.
Start summer with some sizzle! Recipes for fish tacos, grilled mango, and more.
This new cookbook is packed with more than 150 mouthwatering recipes for every occasion!
Custom invitations and table cards with your honor gift.
Our new meal planning tools made just for you.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Order your Diabetes Forecast®! 12 Grilled Favorites and 35+ Travel Tips. Start Here
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Sign up for our FREE recipe club and get cookin’!
Learn more about NASCAR driver Ryan Reed and his mission!
Are you incorporating fish into your diet? Learn why you should!
Learn more about how you can better manage your diabetes.
Fairness for kids with diabetes at camp and other programs
Visit our online community today!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes