Learning at Camp
Learn more about diabetes, while having FUN
Most kids don’t realize it because they’re having so much fun, but a lot of learning goes on at the American Diabetes Association’s Diabetes Camps.
While having fun and hanging out with other kids and adults with diabetes, campers learn a lot about living with diabetes, but don't worry, it's nothing like a school classroom!
Camp counselors also work one-on-one with campers to teach self-care and model appropriate diabetes self-management.
We understand that self-care takes time to master. At Diabetes Camps, campers:
- Learn at their own pace.
- Discover ways to manage diabetes and start developing skills to help take care of oneself.
- Build self-confidence and prepare, if ready, to start accepting more responsibility for diabetes self-management.
- Take steps toward self-care!
- Our approach is learn by doing
- We look for “teachable moments” to help campers learn more about managing diabetes in new and different situations
- We use a variety of methods to share age-appropriate diabetes knowledge and skills
- Our team helps campers gain confidence and self-sufficiency
- Some Camps offer formal diabetes education classes
- The overall focus is tailored diabetes education — and FUN!
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!