Camp Victory - Session I
About Camp Victory
Camp Victory is located at the Louisiana Lions Camp near Leesville. Campers enjoy the 170 acres of rolling piney woodlands that sit on the edge of Lake Vernon. This facility includes bunk houses, cabins, kitchen-dining hall, infirmary, multi-purpose building, arts and crafts building, swimming pool, gymnasium, boat dock, archery hut and much more.
Activities at Camp are geared to all ages. The younger children will enjoy swimming, art and crafts, archery, playground equipment, fishing, nature, dances and an awards ceremony. The program for the teens will include swimming, canoeing, paddle boats, nature, dances, skits, archery, volleyball and an awards ceremony. All activities are supervised by qualified staff.
Providing the youth of Louisiana a safe and rewarding camping experience has been a major focus of the American Diabetes Association since its beginning. Each summer over 75 physicians, nurses, dietitians, and social workers volunteer their time to see that the medical needs of the children are met.
Our campers are educated daily about diabetes in many ways. In addition to the fun educational games they play with our dietitian interns, they will also experience many "informal teaching moments", a sort of learning without knowing it. These moments occur many times throughout the day, whether it be carbohydrate counting, drawing up and injecting insulin or learning about site rotation.
Camp Victory has two sessions:
- Camp Victory Session 1: July 14 to July 20, 2013
- Camp Victory Session 2: July 21 to July 27, 2013
Camp Fees: FREE to all families in Louisiana*
*Made possible through the generous and long-standing support of the Lions of Louisiana.
Registration Deadline: July 1, 2013
Counselor-in-Traning (CIT) Information
For CIT information, please visit the Lions Camp website at www.lionscamp.org or call 800-348-6567.
Here's How It All Works
- The Lions of Louisiana provide their facility, 2 one-week sessions, program staff and Lion Sponsorship of the campers.
- The American Diabetes Association, provides a medical and dietary staff, handle camper recruitment and assignment, and secure insulin, blood testing meters and supplies
- Approximately 200 campers attend - the 6 to 11 year olds during the first week and the 11 to 14 year olds during the second week. 11 years old can be placed in either first session or second session, this is based on a first come, first serve basis.
- An hour of Diabetes education is provided daily to all campers and staff by either the Doctors, Nurses, or Dietitians. The rest of the day is packed with LOTS of outdoor activity scheduled around blood testing times and snacks.
- Medical and Dietary Staff consist of Medical Doctors, Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, Registered Dietitians, Student Dietitians, Student Nurses and Medical Students.
The Louisiana Lions Camp and the American Diabetes Association have worked together for over 25 years to provide summer camp fun and education to Louisiana's youth with diabetes.
Special Thanks to Our Sponsors and Donors:
- Capital Area United Way
- Life Scan
- Novo Nordisk
- Sanofi Aventis
The following donation list was created so individuals wanting to make a difference for Camp Victory could donate either product or gift card. Please take a look at items we are seeking for camp this summer. Please contact Treva Lincoln at 888-342-2383 ext. 6074 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding a donation. We appreciate your consideration.
July 14 to July 20, 2013
Ages: 6 to 11 years
292 L Beauford Drive
Anacoco, Louisiana 71403
Session II - July 21 to July 27
888-342-2383 ext. 6074
ADA Office Address
2750 Lake Villa Drive
Metairie, Louisiana 70002
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes