Learning at Camp
Learn more about diabetes, while having FUN
Most kids don’t realize it because they’re having so much fun, but a lot of learning goes on at the American Diabetes Association’s Diabetes Camps.
While having fun and hanging out with other kids and adults with diabetes, campers learn a lot about living with diabetes, but don't worry, it's nothing like a school classroom!
Camp counselors also work one-on-one with campers to teach self-care and model appropriate diabetes self-management.
We understand that self-care takes time to master. At Diabetes Camps, campers:
- Learn at their own pace.
- Discover ways to manage diabetes and start developing skills to help take care of oneself.
- Build self-confidence and prepare, if ready, to start accepting more responsibility for diabetes self-management.
- Take steps toward self-care!
- Our approach is learn by doing
- We look for “teachable moments” to help campers learn more about managing diabetes in new and different situations
- We use a variety of methods to share age-appropriate diabetes knowledge and skills
- Our team helps campers gain confidence and self-sufficiency
- Some Camps offer formal diabetes education classes
- The overall focus is tailored diabetes education — and FUN!
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes