Safety at Camp
Safety is our number one priority
We understand that parents and caregivers have a long list of health and safety concerns for their child. You may be worried about food and nutrition, proper medical care and supplies, and managing diabetes during a week of sports and other high-energy activities while being away from home.
No need to worry. Teams of diabetes health care professionals at the American Diabetes Association’s Diabetes Camps are on site to take care of our campers.
The medical teams at Diabetes Camps:
- Share with you their approach and what you can expect at Camp
- Review and adjust each camper’s diabetes care plan daily-taking into account increased physical activity levels at Camp
- Monitor and revise, as needed, the number of carbohydrates or the amount of insulin based on blood glucose readings and planned activities.
- Provide information and education through fun, hands-on activities, chat sessions and taking advantage of “teachable moments.”
Embracing Safety at Camp
At every American Diabetes Association Camp, families will find,
- Trained and knowledgeable staff including counselors with diabetes in some settings
- Onsite medical teams
- Onsite medical facilities, equipment and supplies
- Tailored nutrition program for campers
- Closely monitored and administered glucose testing, insulin injections and pump maintenance
- Customized activity schedules that accommodate the needs of a child with diabetes
- Overall focus on safety while not compromising on FUN!
American Diabetes Association Camps can give you peace of mind
The American Diabetes Association is proud to be the largest provider of Camps for children with diabetes in the world. Each year, more than 10,000 children benefit from camping programs provided through the Association’s funding.
The American Diabetes Association operates and financially supports both resident (overnight) and day Camps.
The American Diabetes Association Camps follow the American Camp Association’s (ACA) health and safety standards and where eligible, are accredited by the ACA.
Due to the length of a program or its location, some Camps are ineligible for ACA accreditation but are required to follow all mandatory safety standards.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes