Away from Home
Diabetes should not prevent your child from enjoying family vacations, slumber parties, or trips to Grandma's house. But there are important ways to prepare, especially if your child is not going to be in your care.
If your child will be away from home for an extended trip, it's a good idea to go to your doctor to get a check-up and be sure to ask for:
- Written prescriptions for insulin and any medication. Then, if the travel supplies are lost or damaged – you are only a pharmacy visit away from replacements.
- A doctor's letter describing everything needed for treatment, including medical devices. It should also note any food or medicine allergies or sensitivities.
If your child will be going away without you, always make sure an adult is around who knows how to help with daily management of diabetes (BG checks, insulin shots, etc.), as well as when high or low blood glucose (BG) levels occur. Spend some time with the adult helping them to understand your child's unique signs of a high or low BG. Then demonstrate how to:
- Check BGs
- Count carbs or stick with the food plan
- Measure and give insulin
- Treat highs and lows
- Respond to an emergency – especially when it requires glucagon
- Help the adult caring for your child to know what your child can eat and how that relates to his diabetes care. If possible, create a menu with your child and the adult in charge so that you all can agree on meals, snacks and insulin doses ahead of time.
Be sure to pack twice the amount of diabetes supplies that you think your child will need. Your packing list should include:
- BG testing supplies
- Pump and/or continuous glucose monitor (CGM) supplies
- Ketone testing strips
- Glucose tablets or fast-acting sugar to treat low BG
- A medical ID card (your child should always wear a medical ID bracelet)
- Day and night phone numbers for your D-team
- All your contact numbers
- Snacks like peanut butter and crackers
- First aid kit
- Anti-diarrhea pills
- Anti-nausea drugs
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes