Getting that first driver's license is a huge milestone for your teen and making sure she stays safe behind the wheel is your number one priority.
Start Driver's Education early with your teen. Establish a diabetes management routine before the big day arrives to get a permit or license. Be sure to talk about rules and responsibilities that come with a driver's license.
Driving Safely with Diabetes
Here are some rules of the road to pass on to your teen:
- Pass the test. Check your blood glucose (blood sugar) level before getting into the car. Every time. No exceptions.
- Stop for a diabetes red light. Treat low blood glucose and then recheck in 15 minutes. Do not get behind the wheel until blood glucose is in the target range.
- Slow down. Treat your blood glucose even if it means being late. It's never okay to drive with a low blood glucose level. Call whoever is waiting for you and explain why you'll be a little late. They'll understand.
- Always have enough fuel. Stock the car with healthy, non-perishable snacks and fast-acting sugars. And keep your diabetes supplies within easy reach. Remember, insulin and test strips are damaged by hot an cold temperatures. Never leave your diabetes supplies in the car.
- Pull over. Pull over immediately if you are feeling sick or low while driving. Check your blood glucose, treat yourself, wait 15 minutes and then recheck.
- ID, please. Don't leave home without a driver's license and medical ID bracelet or necklace. Always wear a medical ID.
Check Before You GO
Get into the routine of reminding your teen to check his blood glucose level before going places.
Riding in a car with a low blood glucose level is dangerous – and driving is even worse, it's similar to driving drunk. So be sure your teen always checks her blood glucose level before getting in the car.
Last Reviewed: July 25, 2013
Last Edited: October 21, 2013
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!