Getting that first driver's license is a huge milestone for your teen and making sure he stays safe behind the wheel is your number one priority.
Start Driver's Education early with your teen. Establish a diabetes management routine before the big day arrives to get a permit or license. Be sure to talk about rules and responsibilities that come with a driver's license.
Driving Safely with Diabetes
Here are some rules of the road to pass on to your teen:
- Pass the test. Check your BG before getting into the car. Every time. No exceptions.
- Stop for a diabetes red light. Treat low BG and then recheck in 15 minutes. Do not get behind the wheel until BG is in the target range.
- Slow down. Treat BG even if it means being late. It's never ok to drive with a low BG. Call whoever is waiting for you and explain why you'll be a little late. They'll understand.
- Always have enough fuel. Stock the car with healthy, non-perishable snacks and fast-acting sugars. And keep your D-supplies within easy reach.
- Pull over. Pull over immediately if you are feeling sick or low while driving. Check your BG, treat yourself, wait 15 minutes and then recheck.
- ID, please. Don't leave home without a driver's license and medical ID bracelet or necklace. Always wear medical ID.
Check before you GO
Get into the routine of reminding your teen to check BG before going places. Riding in a car with a low BG is dangerous – and driving is even worse, it's similar to driving drunk. So be sure your teen always checks BG before getting in the car.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes