Hypoglycemia is a risk that comes with using insulin and can't always be prevented. Be sure to talk with your D-team about what to do in a serious low BG emergency.
The key is to be prepared for both mild and severe lows.
Make a plan
Sit down and plan what everyone in the family can do during a low BG emergency. Encourage your child with diabetes to take the lead on this discussion. Here are some questions to discuss.
- What are the signs of a low BG?
- What are fast-acting sugars and where are they kept?
- Who needs to learn how to administer glucagon?
- Where is the glucagon kit? Is it somewhere anyone can get to?
- In an emergency, who will administer glucagon, who will call 911?
- What's the back-up plan in case Mom or Dad is not home?
Practice the plan
Do a practice run (like a fire drill) of what to do during a low BG emergency.
- Practice how to administer glucagon with a toy syringe.
- Time how fast a family member can get the glucagon or fast-acting sugar to you for your child with diabetes.
- Life is always changing so update the plan every six months to make sure it still works for you and your family. Don't forget to do a practice run with the updated plan!
Dos and Don'ts During a Severe Low BG Emergency
- DO call 911.
- DO give glucagon, as directed by the D-team.
- Do NOT inject insulin.
- Do NOT give food, fluids or put anything in the mouth that your child could choke on.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes